DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Insta Chip To HDMI ? Presenters. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/471328-insta-chip-hdmi-presenters.html)

Marty Welk January 20th, 2010 12:44 AM

Insta Chip To HDMI ? Presenters.

What devices can you think of (today or tomorrow) that will take a SDHC chip recorded with XDcam HD stuff, or a Nano CFchip with HD signal, be a Seperate Cheap displayer in HDMI?

Purpose:
to take what i just shot, transfer the chip item (say backup chip) to the cheap decoder device that plays those codecs in HD on a HD LCD screen.
Cheap, means if someone picks it up and runs off with it, it doesnt cost an arm and a leg, that means $100 would be nice, $400 bucks is getting up there, $1000 for a stupid chip reader and decoder is rediculous.

Media Boxes
Chip Players
Cheap Cameras
Cheapest laptop
stuff like that.

William Japhet January 20th, 2010 01:52 PM

With a SDcard>USB adapter, you can use the WesternDigital WDHD (product link : WD TV HD Media Player ( WDBABF0000NBK )).

In the menu, when connected to you screen (via HDMI) you can choose the BPAV folder and play the clips.

I use this product to show final edits in my clients office.

Regards,
William.

Marty Welk January 20th, 2010 10:57 PM

wow i saw that, i didnt know it would work with XD stuff cool.
so that and a USB chip reader , duddddeee that is just tooo easy.

What all types of codecs have you played with it?
How does it handle buffering, and continuous multi-clip playback?
Does it handle "overcranked" stuff?
Is Original Audio and video within 2 frames or less Synced properly on the devices you played back on?

is there things that you have learned so far from using it?

Have you attempted multiple USB devices on it?
Have you attempted a Copy from chip to USB external drive?

Marc Myers January 21st, 2010 03:55 PM

A computer with the older versions of the VLC Media player (sadly, apparently, not the latest one) can play the files. If you have HDMI out on your computer, that might work.

Marty Welk February 11th, 2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Japhet (Post 1474910)
With a SDcard>USB adapter, you can use the WesternDigital WDHD (product link : WD TV HD Media Player ( WDBABF0000NBK )).

In the menu, when connected to you screen (via HDMI) you can choose the BPAV folder and play the clips.

Regards,
William.

Okay, the GEN#1 version of this thing does not play ANY of the XDCAM files at all.
even after an update.
Unless there is something that i dont know , or am doing something wrong.

aparentally it must be a GEN2 WD TV. Someone else might want to know that.

Marty Welk February 24th, 2010 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Japhet (Post 1474910)

Regards,
William.

Help me mr wizard, now i am in for $190 USD on these fine WD boxes , this time i got a "live" (net version) trying to get a gen#2 , and they say live has the same stuff in it as the Gen#2, and it FINNALY shows the MP4 files as made from the EX1r, but it shows them at all the wrong speeds, and the sound isnt supported. ChIPMONK VIDEO, everything plays way to fast.
Grrrrr
What is the secret, i have gone through tests after tests, different card, different resolutions, and updated to the latest software, but i still cant see how ANYONE could possibly think that this would work to show the files from my camera.

altough it does make one awesome movie player thing.

what am i doing wrong, the WD forum doesnt exactally have XdCam users in there trying to use it.
now i have even switched the camera to PAL mode, and still its the same thing, no audio and fast video.

Hiram Yates February 25th, 2010 12:50 AM

It seems to me that the only way to play video files directly out of the BPAV has only ever been using VLC or Clip Browser/XDCAM Transfer. The only other way I've ever seen clips played is after they have been transcoded. As far as I know VLC is the only non-sony made program that will just read the files directly out of the card...

The WD box is a good idea, but would most definitely require that you transcode the clips first. Your best alternative would be a cheap laptop or netbook with VLC, but I'm sure you'd then have lag issues with a netbook trying to process the huge frames...

Dunno, on the cheap I don't think there's a device that would do it. I think there are some rather expensive devices that are designed to read the cards and back them up to other media that have screens on them that can do it, but I seem to think they're in the $1-$3k range.

I realize this reply isn't much help other then I can definitely confirm that you're not doing anything wrong with the WD box, it's just not able to read the raw clips out of the BPAV properly... My guess is that William is showing a fully rendered edit to his clients using the WD box, not BPAVs.

Marty Welk February 25th, 2010 12:59 AM

THanks, i was assembling that conclusion myself, i did a hard search of everyone who recommended it, and there is indication that they edited FIRST.
i need something that will work imediataly out of the camera, no time to trancode , then sometimes right back in the camera to record again.

I just wasted a LOAD of time, and some money, but i think i have confirmed a few things . . . this sucks :-)

if Xvid or DIVX come out with a HD-SDI chip recorder , i guess i am all set.

Jeremy Hugues April 17th, 2010 05:49 AM

WD TV live reads MP4 wihthout sound

Hello everyone,

I also bought the WD TV live to show my clients the final or intermediate versions of the videos but also hoping to be able to see the rushes directly from the BPAV folder by pluging the SDHC card into a USB adapter.
The WD TV live does not see BPAV folders when I try to navigate.
I copied an MP4 file from a BPAV folder directly at the root of my HD and then plugged it into the WD TV live.
The little box can read the 1920x1080 25p file video but the sound is not audible.

I would like the XDCAM EX users to push WD to upgrade the firmware so that their magic little box can read directly the BPAV folder.

A suivre...