DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   telezoom for EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/471514-telezoom-ex1.html)

Marius Boruch January 22nd, 2010 10:46 PM

telezoom for EX1

will this work for EX1???
Raynox HDP-9000EX High Definition Telephoto Conversion Lens for High Definition Camcorder

Mick Haensler January 23rd, 2010 07:40 AM

It says it will on the web site. Interested to know the quality, if you get one please report back with some samples.

Marty Welk January 23rd, 2010 09:16 AM

me interested too, the weight seems high. while the EX series doent have rubber dampeners on the lens, and so it will hold that solid, with the weight of that, i would wonder if it didnt need its own crane and bungee :-) to keep undue pressure off the lens.
or say like rail things and something lifting some of the pressure off?
one wrong move, and can they bore and re-thread the lens :-)

Steve Shovlar January 23rd, 2010 09:24 AM

Raynox are not particularly well known for high quality optics. better to spend more if you can afford it on a better quality product.

Marius Boruch January 23rd, 2010 10:29 AM

like what???

Olof Ekbergh January 23rd, 2010 10:38 AM

These are usually pretty good:
Sony PMW-EX3/EX1 Attachments - Schneider Optics

Bruce Rawlings January 23rd, 2010 10:50 AM

Raynox make bottom end products for fixing to bottom end cameras - been there done that back in the Super 8 days.

Doug Jensen January 23rd, 2010 11:44 AM

I have the Schneider 1.6x and it works great.
1.6X TELE-CONVERTER HD EX1/EX3 - Schneider Optics
I'd definately recommend it.

Mark OConnell January 23rd, 2010 12:52 PM

Any chance you could post something you've shot with it?

Doug Jensen January 23rd, 2010 03:06 PM

Sorry, I don't have time, and there's really no point anyway. The picture quality is just as good with or without it, the only difference is you're zoomed in 60% closer.

There are quite a few shots in my EX3 training DVD that demonstrate it, but I wouldnt suggest buying that DVD just for that. :-)

Mark OConnell January 24th, 2010 04:09 AM

"The picture quality is just as good with or without it..."

Sure would be nice to see something to support that before I drop a thousand bucks. ;-)

Sorry you're so pressed for time.

Damian Heffernan January 24th, 2010 06:05 AM

B&H has it cheaper and free US shipping: Century Precision Optics | 0HD-16TC-EX1 1.6x | 0HD-16TC-EX1
$774

Doug Jensen January 24th, 2010 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark OConnell (Post 1476436)
"The picture quality is just as good with or without it..."
Sure would be nice to see something to support that before I drop a thousand bucks. ;-)
Sorry you're so pressed for time.

Isn't that really the manufacturer's job? Where's their examples? It's their product.
Either take my word for it, or don't. It makes no difference to me.

Markus Klatt February 9th, 2010 10:29 AM

I just shot the Century Precision Optics 0HD-16TC-EX1 1.6x Telephoto Converter Lens, without knowing what I would need it for. ;)
It was just a good chance on the bay.

So, I came to this heavy piece of glass and my first impression was: whoooow, within the first half of the zoom length one fully sees the lens itself as massive black vignetting in the picure. I assume this is normal, but I never was aware of it. This makes it much less usable for my taste - one can only put it on when knowing, that full zoom is that what is needed for the next shots.
I was hoping that it is usable as all the wide angle lenses - simply zoom what you need, if its not zoom through find focus again and use it.

So my question is: it is normal that the telephoto converter is usable only from half zoom way till full zoom?

I am not sure, if I should keep it...

Ryan Avery February 9th, 2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markus Klatt (Post 1483750)
I just shot the Century Precision Optics 0HD-16TC-EX1 1.6x Telephoto Converter Lens, without knowing what I would need it for. ;)
It was just a good chance on the bay.

So, I came to this heavy piece of glass and my first impression was: whoooow, within the first half of the zoom length one fully sees the lens itself as massive black vignetting in the picure. I assume this is normal, but I never was aware of it. This makes it much less usable for my taste - one can only put it on when knowing, that full zoom is that what is needed for the next shots.
I was hoping that it is usable as all the wide angle lenses - simply zoom what you need, if its not zoom through find focus again and use it.

So my question is: it is normal that the telephoto converter is usable only from half zoom way till full zoom?

I am not sure, if I should keep it...

Markus,

It is perfectly normal for the tele-converter to vignette for at least half of the zoom range. For it not to vignette the diameter of the lens would have to be roughly 4x the size it currently is which would make it cost and size prohibitive.

As far as tele-converters are concerned, the quality of the converter is very important because you are magnifying the existing manufacturers optics. A lower quality attachment is immediately apparent.

Thanks,
Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics