Tiffen T1 filter on all the time? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 13th, 2010, 03:27 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Unfortunately, a CT preset will not work by itself. You need to compensate each of the 3 channels differently, which only can be done balancing with AWB.

That wouldn't be much of a problem, except it's too easy to inadvertently knock the AWB push button during the shoot, and spoil the WB as the switch is not at the "preset" position.
Old February 13th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Johnson View Post
I have been leaving my T1 on all the time. I do a white balance, and the far red problem is fixed. However I still would like to make a preset WB in a Picture Profile for daylight sunny shooting. I haven't got around to it yet, but before using the T1 I had a PP with WB set to 5600 that worked great for general outside sunny use. Theoretically I should be able to go out on a sunny day, set a WB, note the temp, then make a PP with that temp as the preset - replacing the 5600 as a go-to temp for outdoor shots you don't have a chance to get a proper WB on.

Has anyone tried this? What temp did you come up with?
I don't believe this will work because as far as I can see the filter affects each colour differently and it depends on the conditions.

I would also refrain from keeping the filter on all the time. I was using it for the first time in anger last week and ended up far from impressed. It cured the problem I had for the shots in question, but even after a WB certain colours took on a green tinge and the image lacked a certain "punch" which took some work with Colorista to restore.

The T1 should only be on the camera when you have a specific problem IMO. Its solved my black problem fantastically but not only did the image take on the aforementioned characteristics, the light loss in the situation I was in was annoying.
Old February 13th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #48
Trustee

Piotr, is AWB different from ATW? If so, how does one AWB which compensates for each channel?

I recently got the T1 and notice a green cast, which is easily fixed in post.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 03:28 AM   #49
Inner Circle

Steve,

Very generally speaking: in ATW mode, your camera is *supposed* to track and adjust CT completely automatically for you (e.g. when following your subject, you are shooting inside with tungsten light and then you need to go outside for day light - and you cannot afford to stop shooting for taking manual WB). On some cameras this can actually work, but not on the EX cameras where it's pretty useless.

AWB is triggered manually by pressing the button while pointing the camera at what you want to appear as white (or shade of, hence a "white card" or "warm card").
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #50
Major Player

I think this IR issue might not be specific to the Sony EX line. Last night I was watching the Chicken Buster episode of Dirty Jobs, and I noticed some of the dark blue/black uniform trousers had that reddish-brown tint. I was careful to note the shots where I saw it... all were from whatever shoulder-mounted HD cams the show is using. The trousers looked fine in the shots from the Z1Us.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #51
Major Player

Watch History channels Pawn Star. They all wear black T-shirts. When they cut from shot to shot the shirts keep changing color from black to red/brown.
I've been seeing this more and more on teevee
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #52
Major Player

I did watch that last night and noticed the same thing.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #53
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Ryan,

Will this new filter have a front thread this time? And when is it likely to ship? Was going to pull the trigger on a t1.

Dan
The new filter, officially called the Platinum 1/2 Stop IR filter, will have front threads in all common threaded sizes that are deep enough to screw-in other filters but does not cause vignetting on the EX Series cameras.

We will begin shipping these in about 3 to 4 weeks at the latest.

Part number for 77mm size: 68-063077
List Price: $250.00 USD

You can order from any Schneider dealer that sponsors this site as a special order and it will become a regularly sold item in the future.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #54
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Kukla View Post
Will the Schnieder filter come in a size to fit the Fujinon EX-3 wide angle lens? It appears to be a 95mm thread.

How soon?
Ed,

We have 95mm sizes available. 3 to 4 weeks. Please email me for a price quote and I will make sure to get you in contact with a dvinfo.net sponsor dealer to order the item.

Thanks,
Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #55
Trustee

Ryan, will this filter have any issues with a reflective front surface like some of the other IR filters had? Is it an ordinary dye based filter?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #56
Regular Crew

Ryan- At $250, the Platinum filter is 3 times the price of the T1. What does the Platinum do the Tiffen doesn't?
Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 06:37 AM   #57
Inner Circle

This is my reservation, as well - for that price, I've got TWO T1s (77mm and 4x5.65").

Of course, thorough tests can still prove the Platinum 1/2 Stop IR filter is worth the price...

Ryan, any estimation for the 4x5.65" version?
Old February 17th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #58
Regular Crew

T1 trade-in program?

Ryan, for those of us that bought the T1 solution and found the results disappointing, how about a trade-in program? I for one would be really reluctant to buy yet another filter that promises to address the IR problem only to find that it too has unwanted side effects...
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:58 AM   #59
Regular Crew

I wouldn't count on a trade-in program, seeing as the T1 is made by Tiffen and this new filter is by Schneider.

I have a T1 and yes, it fixes the reddish-black problem but does so at the expense of everything looking green (as many have pointed out). It's easier to CC out the green than the red/blacks, but I would be willing to pay more for a solution that works cleaner...
Old February 17th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #60
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Ethington View Post
Ryan, for those of us that bought the T1 solution and found the results disappointing, how about a trade-in program? I for one would be really reluctant to buy yet another filter that promises to address the IR problem only to find that it too has unwanted side effects...
Yes, after initially being pleased with the T1 I've now detected some green tinging on the fake tans of two of my subjects from the other week.

Rest of the image is correct, but the tans seem to just give a slight green tinge. Matt Davis (of this neighbourhood) tells me he's had problems with fake tans on camera without the IR issue. So I guess the T1 is just compounding that.

I'm now trying to dial this out but it does mean the rest of the image is going to be impacted.

I'd be interested in one of the new filters but given how long it took me to get a T1 I don't expect to see one for sale in the UK this side of July!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds