DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX Cache Record Experiences (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/471548-ex-cache-record-experiences.html)

Dan Keaton January 26th, 2010 12:53 PM

Dear Vincent,

If the camera can record over and under-cranked, then one can record in-camera, at 35 Mbps 4:2:0 over and under-cranked.

The nanoFlash allows one to record 4:2:2, over and under-cranked, at a wide variety of bit rates.

I have not researched it, but one poster said that the EX1 does not have over and under-cranking, but the EX1R does.

Vincent Oliver January 26th, 2010 01:18 PM

The EX1 does have over and under cranking, it is accessed through the menus, whereas the EX1r has a side button just like the EX3.

The 4:2:2 over and under cranking at various bit rates does sound interesting.

Dan Keaton January 26th, 2010 01:26 PM

Dear Vincent,

Thank you for the clarification.

Darren Ruddock January 26th, 2010 01:40 PM

Hi Dan,

The Nanoflash does sound a superb buy. My colleague and myself are considering buying one. Just a couple of questions....

Is it true that it can eliminate any motion problems because of the higher bit rates?

Plus, as we work mostly down-converting HD to SD for delivery to clients, what is the quality of the IMX 50 codec and how easy is it to use within Final Cut?

Thanks

Dan Keaton January 26th, 2010 01:59 PM

Dear Darren,

I know of many professionals that are using the Sony EX1 and EX3, with the nanoFlash, and they are not reporting any motion issues.

One professional does helicopter work and he is very pleased with the images, including those where the helicopter is moving at a high rate of speed.

Sorry, but I am not at liberty to give out all of the details, but a big budget motion picture, an action picture, was shot with Panavision 35mm and an EX3 with a nanoFlash.

The nanoFlash footage was edited, and they went to film-out. The film was then intercut with the Panavision 35mm film, and it intercut well when projected in the major studio's screening rooms. Of course, the film had more latitude.

The nanoFlash does not downconvert HD to SD. One can, however, feed the nanoFlash
SD-SDI, then we will record it. The options are, among others IMX-30, IMX-40, and IMX-50.
(IMX-50 is available today, the IMX-30 and IMX-40 are in the next firmware release.)

The quality of the IMX-50 will depend on the quality of the SD-SDI that the nanoFlash receives.

Personally, I have not edited IMX-50, but it should work fine in Final Cut Pro.

Markus Klatt January 29th, 2010 04:13 AM

@Dan,

your example above ("When you return, if something happened while you were gone, you will have recorded it.") may not express what I would need.
Often it happens on my "one week filming tours", that I am limited with the total amount of free space on the flash cards. This happens with my SxS cards and although I have additional 10x 16GB SDHC on these mediums too. And I do not like to edit/move any footage on the flash cards where they were recorded till I have the clips at home on my "safe storage PC".

That is why I do not hit the record button of my EX1, when the shows did not start yet. Otherwise I would "fill" my available flash memory with black footage.
When I understand you correctly it would be the same with the nanoFlash? I would fill my compact flash cards until if I have the chance to stop and delete a clip before?

I would need a 10-15 seconds looping cache like the EX1R offers. Can nanoFlash do a similar thing?
And may I use the native nanoFlash files, say with 50MBit/sec, in Adobe Premiere CS4 on Windows?

Thanks,
Markus