DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Hawk-Woods SSD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/471650-hawk-woods-ssd.html)

Jeremy Hugues January 25th, 2010 11:15 AM

Hawk-Woods SSD

Hello everyone,

Anyone has field information from Hawk-woods new SSD recording system:
EX-SSD2 /EXSSD2 Sony PMW-EX Solid State 128GB Hard Drive

Thanks in advance for sharing some experience.

Best regards,

Vincent Oliver January 25th, 2010 11:32 AM

Seems odd that the 64Gb drive will give you 4 hours of recording time and the 128gb drives gives you 5 hours.

No prices either, maybe no product as yet!

Daniel Epstein January 25th, 2010 01:36 PM

Does XDCAM EX know what to do with more than 80 Gigs? I thought there was a size limit which might explain why you don't get a doubling. if 64 Gig is 4 that is 16 per hour

Vincent Oliver January 25th, 2010 02:00 PM

The theory sounds right, but as each clip is recorded as a new file, there shouldn't be a limit on the actual media size. I would think the 80gb limitation may apply to a continuos duration of a clip.

I might be wrong on this :-(

Barry J. Anwender January 25th, 2010 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver (Post 1477016)
Seems odd that the 64Gb drive will give you 4 hours of recording time and the 128gb drives gives you 5 hours.

No prices either, maybe no product as yet!

The EX1/3 camera's have a format limit of 85GB, hence the record time of 308minutes or just over 5 hours.

Marc Myers January 25th, 2010 03:04 PM

A little OT, but they claim 14 minute download of 300 minutes of video using eSATA? I use SxS cards with a connection directly to a PCIe. I get nowhere near that speed. Think that's a limitation of cards rather than the connection?

Barry J. Anwender January 25th, 2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Myers (Post 1477133)
A little OT, but they claim 14 minute download of 300 minutes of video using eSATA? I use SxS cards with a connection directly to a PCIe. I get nowhere near that speed. Think that's a limitation of cards rather than the connection?

Yes Marc, I can confirm that a average speed 128GB SSD blows away SXS cards when off-loading via eSATA-2.. To get that 14 minute offload time from my Corsair SSD via eSATA-2, I need to have at least two hard drives configured for RAID-0 inside my MacPro Octo. My EX3 with the Corsair SSD has been in operation for 10 months now, and it has been 100% reliable.

Jurgen Bauwens January 28th, 2010 07:13 AM

I have the hawkwoods 64GB version and had no problems with it yet...it fits perfectly into the sxs slot of the camera. Just need to be a little creative into mounting it on the ex3 without the hawkwoods adapter. I have it mounted on my protechST-7. The 128GB version does indeed format as 80Gb on the camera so I think you're better off with the 64GB SDD