best 32 gig SDHC card ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 26th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

best 32 gig SDHC card ?

I've using with my EX3 for about a year 2 MxR adapters (with 16 gig Sandisk Ultras) without a problem, so I'm thinking on buying the 32 gig option.... I've read some posts about some problems with 32 g transcend cards .... any recommendation from the experts about reliable card type, brands and stores will be greatly appreciated .....

kind regards
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Major Player

from reviews and all, the Sandisk EXTREEME 32gig would probably be the fastest most reliable card they have out now, that and the panasonic class 10.
but both of those cost some 2times what would sufficentally write even an overcranked video file out.
but you said best :-)

the problem i read about transcends were 16gig ones, i dont have problems with the 32gig one at all, BUT that one went out of stock and was releaced with a new model :-(
if the new model of transcend follows the trend of the weird 16 transcend, then that sucks.
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique Orozco Robles View Post
I've using with my EX3 for about a year 2 MxR adapters (with 16 gig Sandisk Ultras) without a problem, so I'm thinking on buying the 32 gig option.... I've read some posts about some problems with 32 g transcend cards .... any recommendation from the experts about reliable card type, brands and stores will be greatly appreciated .....

kind regards
MXM sell the ATP 32 gig cards via their website and have apparently selected to sell the ATP cards due to the consistency of manufacture. There was a good post on here a few weeks back that quoted a long email from MXM going into the detail of their choice.

That said I'm using ATP 16gb cards exclusively now. I personally think, regardless of brand, unless you have a very specific need then 32gb represents too many eggs in one basket.
Old January 26th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #4
Trustee

Hoodman Raw was suppose to come out with a 32BG card that was suppose to be released back in November. I never heard anything further on it though. I've got an email into them to find out more.

Just heard back from Hoodman. They are still about 4 weeks away from releasing there 32GB Class 10 card.

-Garrett

Last edited by Garrett Low; January 26th, 2010 at 02:30 PM.
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 02:48 AM   #5
Major Player

SDHC short testing

Interested in getting the best value for the money, and the best speed of flash chip, i am running tests of 3 32gig cards, (already did the patriot 6 and its not good)

These tests are just for myself, they are rude crude and quick, but it gives me some ideas, similar results were seen on the other computer. Fat32, 32k cluster sizes, Clibench , both cards empty, using chip readed in XPpro computer.

Left NEW transcend class6 , Right the Sandisk EXtreeme
Read max------ 17505 --- 19459 kB/sec
Read average-- 17328 --- 19382 kB/sec
Read min------ 17210 --- 19293 kB/sec
Write max------ 10332 --- 12541 kB/sec
Write average-- 7840 --- 11123 kB/sec
Write min------ 5433 --- 6528 kB/sec

OLD trancend left vrses new transcend right
Read max ----- 18815 --- 17505 kB/sec
Read average -- 18745 --- 17328 kB/sec
Read min ------ 18627 --- 17210 kB/sec
Write max ---- 10346 --- 10332 kB/sec
Write average -- 8625 --- 7840 kB/sec
Write min ------ 6575 --- 5433 kB/sec

Consistantally the older transcend is tiny bits faster than the new one.

Last edited by Marty Welk; February 27th, 2010 at 04:50 AM.
Marty Welk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2010, 03:39 AM   #6
Major Player

The copy test. 10 large files of CD size (700m) copied using a dos like method, accuracy within a few seconds here or there.
Large file Write test.

New transcend 32 class 6 - 13:19
Sandisk Extreeme 32 - 6:50
older trancendt 32 Cl6 - 11:55

Last edited by Marty Welk; February 27th, 2010 at 04:45 AM.
Old February 28th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #7
Major Player

the hard overcrank test - E-LCK adapter - EX1r.
My 16gig old transcend passed this test, this time i shot to full 100+% range of the luma, with extreeme dark to light and color changes and everything i could throw at it.

Overcrank 24p frame 1280x720 cranked to 60

Transcend 32 class 6 Old FAILED in less than 10 seconds
Transcend 32 class 6 New FAILED in less than 10 seconds
Sandisk Extreeme still going. YAY it finished doing vast continual wild changes at full overcrank with a media Full message, instead of a restore media message.

i think i am beginning to see (more) why at the worst possible time this stuff will fail, and burn me. While i have no need whatsoever for 24p recording , so therefore no need to overcrank with a 24 frame rate, and while i would never shoot with this type of range or crasy camera movements, i sure dont want a stick that cant keep up with the worst i can throw at it.

both the old and new (slower) transcend worked wondefully for tons of testing and NORMAL shooting itself, i dont think i can risk it. living cheap is one thing living on the Edge is another.

Last edited by Marty Welk; March 1st, 2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old March 4th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #8
Major Player

I bought one of the new 32GB Patriot IRIS SDHC cards which are designed for pro video use and come with a 5 year warranty.

Patriot IRIS Memory Card
http://www.patriotmemory.com/product...&id=896&type=6

Using the ATTO Speed benchmark, I am getting 17 MB/sec write speed and 20 MB/sec read speed, which is the fastest card I've tested to date.
Attached Thumbnails
best 32 gig SDHC card ?-patriot32gb.jpg  
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Welk View Post
i think i am beginning to see (more) why at the worst possible time this stuff will fail, and burn me. While i have no need whatsoever for 24p recording , so therefore no need to overcrank with a 24 frame rate, and while i would never shoot with this type of range or crasy camera movements, i sure dont want a stick that cant keep up with the worst i can throw at it.

both the old and new (slower) transcend worked wondefully for tons of testing and NORMAL shooting itself, i dont think i can risk it. living cheap is one thing living on the Edge is another.
Buying my HMC40 I looked at getting one of the SanDisk 32gb cards. I ended up with 2 Panny 16's instead as it was still much cheaper this way. Overall I totally agree with you though. Even if the cards do perform admirably in normal situations, there could be that one time where something out of the norm is needed and you wind up being up a creek.

I'll gladly buy products I know are of the highest quality just for the ease of mind.
Paul Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #10
Major Player

After returning two 32 GB cards I have decided that the "best" 32 GB card is TWO 16 GB cards.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #11
Major Player

>>>After returning two 32 GB cards I have decided that the "best" 32 GB card is TWO 16 GB cards.

The cards were defective?

I own eight 16GB Patriot cards, and will slowly switch to all 32GB this year. So far I've had zero problems with the Patriot cards I've been using since May 2009.
Guy McLoughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #12
Major Player

Both were Sandisk cards.

John
Old March 8th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #13
Major Player

The ATP 32 Gb cards sold by MxM works flawlessly for me even with max. overcranking. I also own 16Gb of the same brand, no difference.
Old April 27th, 2010, 06:40 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy McLoughlin View Post
I bought one of the new 32GB Patriot IRIS SDHC cards which are designed for pro video use and come with a 5 year warranty.

Patriot IRIS Memory Card
http://www.patriotmemory.com/product...&id=896&type=6

Using the ATTO Speed benchmark, I am getting 17 MB/sec write speed and 20 MB/sec read speed, which is the fastest card I've tested to date.
I believe they only make a Class 4 now and not a class 6

http://www.patriotmemory.com/product...&id=776&type=6

Newegg.com - Patriot 32GB Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) Flash Card Model PSF32GSDHC4

John
Old April 28th, 2010, 04:42 AM   #15
Inner Circle

I'd like to stress experimenting with SDHC cards that have not been tested and approved by the most competent ExpressCard adapter vendor - MxM - is a risk no serious EX camera owner should take (apart perhaps from the Sony's own solution for the EX1/350, which is not that cheap at all). Mind you - MxM is also sold by Hoodman, and that's not without a reason!

Out of my several adapters/SDHC media combinations, it's only the lockable MxM with the 32GB ATP Pro that has been working without any single glitch.. Period.

As an example of disaster that you may encounter, I can tell you I was sure my other SDHC cards (16GB from Sandisk) were also reliable, as they never show errors during recording (no "media needs to be restored" and alike). Until a couple of weeks ago, problems started when reading/copying them on my PC! Even though the Windows chkdsk and other utilities never found any problems, some clips cannot be read, played back or copied to HDD...

This is the most awful situation imaginable, as you're never warned during acquisition, and yet some of your invaluable clips are useless..

On the other hand, the MxM/ATP combo never gave me any single problem. I can use it exactly like the Sony's own SxS Pro - i.e. pause and start recording without waiting for the red light to go off, switch slots automatically or manually, and what not - always getting full contents intact on my PC. Never lost a single clip - recommended!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds