DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   D-tap to EX3 power cable? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/472216-d-tap-ex3-power-cable.html)

Shaughan Flynn February 3rd, 2010 08:20 PM

D-tap to EX3 power cable?

Anyone know of one of these?

Bob Jackson February 3rd, 2010 11:21 PM

Is this what you are looking for?
Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training
or perhaps this from google
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...batteries.html

Shaughan Flynn February 4th, 2010 12:21 AM

The Vortex is XLR to EX - I am looking for D-tap to EX. Nothing in that thread talks about that either. I am guessing this will be another custom cable...

I have a number of V-mount batteries with D-tap connectors that I normally use on the Steadicam Flyer. I would like to leverage one of them to power the EX3.

Olof Ekbergh February 4th, 2010 07:56 AM

I can make the D-tap to camera power input cable for you.

Or you can buy a D-tap pigtail from B&H or similar place for about $35.00 and you can find the power plug even at Radio Shack and solder it together yourself, for a few more dollars.

I have made a number of them.

Contact me for a price:

olof@westsideav.com

Garrett Low February 4th, 2010 08:38 AM

Hi Olof,

do you have the D-Tap connectors without any wire attached so I can build with my own wires and terminal end connectors? Or do you know of a web link I can get them from?

If you have the plain connectors how much do you sell them for?

Thanks,
Garrett

Olof Ekbergh February 4th, 2010 09:10 AM

I have never been able to find D-tap w/o cable pigtail. It is easy to cut off pigtail and re-solder whatever you want onto the pins, I sometimes even put multiple cables into 1 D-tap.

B&H has the pigtails as cheap as anyone. I have tried to order wholesale, I use a lot of them but they are very controlled by AB who owns the patent I believe.

Sometimes you can find made up cables cheaper than just the pigtais. Even if you cut of the 4 pin XLR or whatever, that is a good way to get them. I have recently found some manufactured by Swit at B&H, but stock seems to vary all the time as do prices.

Alex Dolgin February 4th, 2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaughan Flynn (Post 1481363)
Anyone know of one of these?

We have them D-Tap to Sony EIAJ 12V DC Plug Adapter Power Cable [D-Tap to SONY EIAJ CBL] - $45.00 : Dolgin Engineering, Camera Power Solutions

Garrett Low February 4th, 2010 11:07 AM

Thanks Olof, I actually want to be able to make up various lengths as well as have different connectors so that I could use them in a variety of applications. I may just make basically an adapter cable and have a number of different extension cables and such to allow for different connections.

Anyone have a good idea of what a good small lockable connection would be to use on the end? An xlr would be too big and bulky.

-Garrett

Olof Ekbergh February 4th, 2010 11:25 AM

Garrett,

I often use nylon automotive clip together connectors for this, they are small high quality and polarized. Check your local NAPA or other automotive supplier.

Garrett Low February 4th, 2010 11:35 AM

I was thinking if I could find a miniature connector like this one:

http://www.electronicplus.com/images/products/T602C.jpg

I could make a good lightweight solid connector.

Olof, do you have any of the D-Tap pigtails you spoke of now? If so how much do you charge for them. Like you said, B&H is out of the less expensive ones right now.

Thanks,
Garrett

George Strother February 4th, 2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh (Post 1481522)
I have never been able to find D-tap w/o cable pigtail. It is easy to cut off pigtail and re-solder whatever you want onto the pins, I sometimes even put multiple cables into 1 D-tap.

B&H has the pigtails as cheap as anyone. I have tried to order wholesale, I use a lot of them but they are very controlled by AB who owns the patent I believe.

Sometimes you can find made up cables cheaper than just the pigtais. Even if you cut of the 4 pin XLR or whatever, that is a good way to get them. I have recently found some manufactured by Swit at B&H, but stock seems to vary all the time as do prices.

In stock @ B&H -

Anton Bauer | PowerTap Kit - Male Pins and | POWERTAP KIT | B&H

Olof Ekbergh February 4th, 2010 08:57 PM

George,

That is great I just ordered some.

I have never seen them like that anywhere before.

Piotr Wozniacki February 5th, 2010 09:11 AM

Olof,

Am I right assuming this will be great for making splitters like the one I need?

If so, the price is great indeed!

Garrett Low February 5th, 2010 09:47 AM

Thanks George,

this is great.

Garrett

George Strother February 5th, 2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh (Post 1481798)
George,

That is great I just ordered some.

I have never seen them like that anywhere before.

B&H has had them for some time, but it's not that easy to find on the site. I bought a couple from them about 6-8 months ago. Made some adapters with cables amputated from wall warts that no longer had a job.