Setting EX1 to play nice with GoPro and CX100's in post at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 4th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Setting EX1 to play nice with GoPro and CX100's in post

Hello,
I am shooting a docu / tv pilot. Main camera is EX1. There will be a slew of GoPro HD's (1080/30p 1920x1080) and Sony CSX 100's (1080/60i 1920x1080).

Question is, if I set the EX1 to 1080/30p is everything going to play nice in post? Some fast moving action, but a lot of people, landscapes, b roll etc.

Thanks for any help.
Annen James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Annen I use the GoPro 1080p camera and it plays well with the EX1 with both set at 30p. One thing you will have to do is bring the GoPro footage into MPEG Streamclip and then convert the footage for your NLE. I convert to Quicktime since I use FCS.

I have not used the Sony CSX 100's.
Old February 5th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #3
Major Player

Agreed.

GoPros simply ROCK.

MPEG Streamclip is an excellent transcode answer for both GoPro and DSLR material.
Old February 6th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #4
Major Player

This might be OT, but what do you GoPro owners think of the ContourHD 1080 camera?
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 09:16 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Kevin I have both the GoPro and the ContourHD and prefer the GoPro. The ContourHD does not give the the same menu options and does not come with a water proof housing. Besides I think the GoPro produces a better picture and it a tougher unit having broke one of my ContourHD cameras easily.

But you have to remember these are very low bit rate cameras so don't expect high level production clips just exciting, fast action, up close, wide angle, quick cuts, that can be mixed with other higher end HD cameras. Which when you think about it is amazing for the price.
Old February 6th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #6
Major Player

I think the GoPro's standard size SD/SDHC card slot is a bit handier than the miniSD cards...

The GoPro form factor being so different than the Contour would likely make owning a couple of each the ready-for-anything way to go.

Checking relative image quality between the two would likely be a worthwhile activity.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds