The EX 1&3 and "(F x O) / I = D" at

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PMW-300, PXW-X200, PXW-X180 (back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 5th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Major Player
The EX 1&3 and "(F x O) / I = D"

I was reading stuff at (which has a bit of everything btw) and I came across this article:

Perspective and the Normal Lens

I was intrigued by this:

"We can only see the "correct" perspective of a print, movie or video if the image is viewed exactly reproduced to give the same perspective as seen by the camera. That is if the camera shoots a scene with a certain lens, it must be viewed with an enlargement the same ratio of image size to distance of viewer as it was photographed. If F=camera focal length, I=image height on film, O=image height as projected or printed, then the correct distance to be viewed is D=viewing distance.

(F x O) / I = D"

Does anyone know what "I" (image height on film) would be for the EX1&3 imagers?

I was curious if I could see the difference in an image when viewed from the "correct" distance.

Once and a while I shoot something and it will have this "depth" look (not talking about depth of field), but more like a "tilt-shift" lens effect and I wondered if focal length/viewing distance might have something to do with getting this look too. Although I think it is a result of a combination of lighting, angle, and focus, etc...
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Major Player
Only Sony know the exact size, there is no hard standard, but it should be close to 6.4mm wide by 4.8mm high.
David C. Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds