SxS Cards Not Recognized in PC after MAC USB Transfer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 8th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

SxS Cards Not Recognized in PC after MAC USB Transfer

Hi-

Forgive me if I have overlooked something obvious. I have been considering a new Mac Pro workflow, so I shot a few minutes of test footage on my 8GB SxS card in Slot A (a blank 32GB SxS card was in slot B - not used for the test), brought the files into my PC (with no issues) and then brought both cards and the camera to a Mac store for testing with Final Cut Pro. (Snow Leopard OS) It imported just fine. But now, I can't access either card from my original PC. The drives show up in Explorer on the PC via USB, but no actual files are listed. I can't access any of the clips either from the Windows OS or from ClipBrowser 2.6. (The drives show up - but the PC doesn't show any files in Explorer) But the files still play from the camera. Because my B slot was empty, I formatted the slot B 32GB SxS card in the camera (thinking the Mac OS messed with it), then copied the clips from A to B using the camera. Then I formatted the A card in the camera as well. No luck. I still can't access the clips or either card with the PC. What did the Mac do to my cards? Is there any way to get them working on my PC again, without access to a Mac? Thanks in advance.
Ed Przyzycki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If the PC recognizes that there are cards, can you format them on the PC? This should fix what the Mac did. Then you should be able to format them in the camera.

Whenever you connect a drive to a Mac, WRITE PROTECT IT, otherwise the OS *WILL* write data on it, potentially causing issues as you have seen.
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Perrone. Lesson learned about the Write Protect. I was unable to format them on the PC side. Whenever I tried, the PC and the camera would hang. Turns out, the USB cable appears to be bad. (Not sure how though, because it just worked fine on the Mac side) Anyway, with another USB cable, the problem has been resolved. Thanks for the quick response!
Ed Przyzycki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds