DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   I need help setting up outside bright sunny PP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/472531-i-need-help-setting-up-outside-bright-sunny-pp.html)

Eddie Coates February 9th, 2010 08:16 AM

I need help setting up outside bright sunny PP

Hello everyone!

I am looking for help on how to set up a Picture Profile for my shooting conditions.

I am in the bright sunny Arizona and I am always shooting models outside with the sun as a back light.

I see lots of videos shot outside with the Sony EX1 all over youtube and vimeo that look amazing! Great HD detail and colors.

So what I am looking for is the best possible picture profile settings for shooting outside in bright sunlight, with the sun always as a back light on the models that i shoot.

Any help would more than appreciated.

Ola Christoffersson February 9th, 2010 09:27 AM

I'd start by changing to Cinegamma 1. It gives you the best lattitude. Experiment with it as a base and preferably do all the colour stuff in post.

Piotr Wozniacki February 9th, 2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie Coates (Post 1483702)
So what I am looking for is the best possible picture profile settings for shooting outside in bright sunlight, with the sun always as a back light on the models that i shoot.

If your subject's going to be back-lit, and you're not using fill light - cine4 will be better than cine1, as it will bring the shadows up a bit. But that's just a starting point...

David Issko February 9th, 2010 02:02 PM

It's a tough one Eddie,

Many of the well respected contributors here have spent hours upon hours testing their camera's capabilities by recording settings and checking them out to see what, for them and their specific requirements, is best.

I have had my EX3 for about 18 months and still experiment with pp settings.

What works for one may not be so good for another, not because the setting is 'wrong' but due to the circumstances and specific requirements of the day or project.

You will have lots of fun experimenting with the settings. I log everything so I know what I was testing.

Sorry I could not answer your question specifically. I would not even try to. Besides, it may be more than pp settings to extract the best from your camera, for your requirements not including post. Filters, matte box, reflectors etc.

Eddie Coates February 13th, 2010 11:16 AM

Thanks guys!

I have been experimenting with settings, but I am still getting weird artifacts.
The video almost looks like heat coming off a road when I shoot out side in high
contrast situations.

Also the video looks fuzzy, not sure why.

Piotr Wozniacki February 13th, 2010 12:50 PM

We can't help you more if you don't give us more info - perhaps a still picture (with a good camera) of the scene, and what exactly you have dialed into your EX camera so far...

Alister Chapman February 14th, 2010 03:50 AM

If the image is fuzzy you may have the aperture too far closed. The EX cameras work best when the aperture is more open than F8. Smaller than F8 (F11, F16) the image will be softened due to diffraction. You may need extra external ND filters to cope with the harsh Arizona light.

Ola Christoffersson February 15th, 2010 04:13 PM

That was my thought as well. This is crucial!

Eddie Coates February 15th, 2010 04:35 PM

I was thinking the same thing about being in Arizona, very bright high contrast HARSH light.

What ND filters does one recommend. I want very crisp high quality filters. What filters are best that will not degrade image quality?

ok... so video is not like photography?...........
The higher the aperture the sharper the image with a still cam...but with a video cam it is the opposite?