DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   running wireless on ex1r/audio low (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/472707-running-wireless-ex1r-audio-low.html)

Jim Stamos February 12th, 2010 01:01 AM

running wireless on ex1r/audio low

i was on a shoot today and had a feed from the board on one channel and a wireless on the other. i noticed the feed was alot stronger, not that i cant bring up the wireless in post. i didnt go manual.
when shooting on my dsr300, whether i went from a board or wireless , the levels were both strong and equal.
is there a setting in the ex i need to adjust?i notice there were different line items regarding audio adjustments on the menu.
using lectrosonics
thanks
jim
i also noticed what others are saying about the viewfinder out of the box is clearly darker . had to boost the brightness up to +20

Alister Chapman February 12th, 2010 02:35 AM

You can use the "trim" settings in the audio menu to adjust the input gain of both audio channels, but really I suspect the problem is more likely to be down to the use of Auto level control (AGC). The default setting on the EX is "AGC Linked" where the gain of both audio channels is controlled together, so if your input levels are not evenly matched you will end up with one high and one low level.

If you are taking a feed from a mixer then you should really use manual control as the mixers output will cap any peak audio levels so you have no fear of overload if the levels are set correctly. Manual level control will prevent the audio levels from pumping or compressing. If you can't use Manual then at least un-link the AGC.

Marty Welk February 12th, 2010 04:45 AM

my wireless mics have always been "mic level" instead of line level, on one side it is appropriate because it "replaces" a mic, on ther other side, its a line comming out of the wireless , so why is it a mic level :-)
(no i really dont know what is a line or mic level) but i do know that the board and MY wireless would be set completely differentally on the "pre-amp" and "pad" type stuff to get the gains and level stuff CLOSE first, before i allow any AVC to occur, so they pound the AVC about the same. the board would have to be attenuated down a bit, and the mic not.
that VIA the switches (line /mic) at the XLR inputs, then (i assume) also adjusted via the menu, which i havent got that far yet.

the VX2000 we use has ganged AVC, and if there is anything funkey going on in ONE mic (little screaming kid say) it will knock the other one around so much , as to screw the other up also.
Unless your sure of both inputs , that they will have similar sound like from the board/cd only, i wouldnt run an AGC ganged. With them acting as 2 seperate things if something is going wrong with the one, the other wont be destroyed TOO.
luckily on the 250 and EX they can be unlinked , unlike the consumer 2000.