Shooting ENG style with EX1 & EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 13th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shooting ENG style with EX1 & EX3

Has anyone done any ENG style shooting with either the EX1 or EX3? I'm talking about shooting with one hand on the tripod pan handle and one on the lens. I'm using a full size rig right now, with most of my shooting done like this. I'm thinking shooting would be very awkward with these cameras, without having a proper viewfinder to look into. Also, how stable do you guys find these little camera to be on a tripod when you're zoomed all the way in? As much as the PDW350 would fit the bill, it's beyond reach for me right now. Even the EX3 would be tight. The EX1 price wise is perfect. But I'd hate to sacrifice the "feel" of a full size camera.

Thank for you input.
Craig Kovatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Major Player

I know that at least two local D.C. T.V. stations shoot with EX1's all the time. When I talk to the guys running them they seems to love them because of the low weight factor.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Craig,

I shoot ENG style with our EX-3 on a regular basis. The camera isn't perfect but it does so many things well I have learned to work with a few quirks. I have a Fujinon zoom controller that is on my tripod frequently, but when I'm on/off the tripod a lot it tends to stay off. Shot steadiness is really a function of your tripod. A Sachtler FSB 6 works just fine for me when I travel.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Shooting ENG style with EX1 & EX3-img_0326.jpg  
Dave Nystul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #4
Major Player

I also use the EX3 frequently for ENG. With the Sachtler FSB8 and carbon fiber quick release sticks, it's pretty solid. I've done live shots with the BNC monitor out and they look as good as any other Standard Definition. I've never done an SDI out HD live shot, however.

I bought a V-lock adapter. The bigger battery helps balance handheld shots, and it gives me a D-tap for the toplight.

I use the Varizoom controller because I can dial the zoom speed up or down to suit the needs of the shot.

0620090816a on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #5
Major Player

Charles, what v-lock adapter are you using? I looked on B&H's website and couldn't find it.
Tom Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #6
Major Player

Here you go...

Bebob Engineering | COCO-EX3-V V-Mount Battery | BE-COCO-EX3-V
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #7
Major Player

Great! Couldn't seem to find it but that works! Thanks.
Tom Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #8
Major Player

I have shot a ton of events, short films, and reality shows on the EX1 ENG-style and it works great. The ergonomics are great though it does give your right arm a workout ;)

Using a Vinten Vision 10 tripod, though it's a little overkill.
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #9
Major Player

I've set up my EX-3 for ENG-style work with DM Baseplate and Shoulder Mount, Bebob V-mount adapter, and ENG-Rig from DVTec. The added benefit of the ENG rig is that its baseplate has a Sony wedge for VCT-U14 plate. The ENG rig really completes the package allowing stable handling of the EX-3.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tips guys.

Dave, is that a hard drive recorder attached to your camera? Which Fujinon controller do you use? I have an 8 pin Fujinon my DSR130 that I wouldn't mind using.
Craig Kovatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Craig,

the recorder is called a Nanoflash. It's mounted to the base plate of my camera on an Israeli arm. the Fujinon controller was given to me by one of our Engineers. I'm sorry I don't know the number but it works with all Fujinon broadcast lenses. (might be an SRD-92B)

Dave
Dave Nystul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #12
Major Player

I am waiting on an order for a Fujinon ERD-20A-A02 Zoom Demand and MCA-7 Mounting Clamp for my XS lens. Will definitely be a big help.
Old February 14th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #13
Trustee

I have the Varizoom VZ-Pro-EX VariZoom | VZ-Pro-EX Comfort-Grip Zoom Controller | VZ-PRO-EX

and a Sachtler FSB 6 & EX1. I can't say enough good things about the Varizoom. I shoot mostly events and need to pan, zoom and focus quite often. The only things I would change would be the tripod head (to FSB 8 or DV-10SB) and add a 7-9" LCD. The FSB 6 is great but not strong enough for what I want to do (add mattebox, nanoflash & 2 wireless receivers).
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #14
Major Player

I shoot ENG with my ex3 as well. The only thing I still have a hard time getting used to zooming and panning. On a full size camera I use my left hand to handle focus and the zoom controls, and right hand handles the tripod handle. With the ex3 standard lens, the zoom rocker is a little further back, so I can simply reach over with my fingers and control it. I typically have to use my right hand to handle zoom, and left hand focus.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Hi Ian.

I shoot the same way with my bigger camera. Except I've gotten so used to having my eye pressed into a viewfinder, I'm worried about the difference in shooting style. Not to mention there's no way I could go without having a zoom controller on the pan handle. What stix are you using?
Craig Kovatch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds