DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Is this CMOS rolling shutter? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/472873-cmos-rolling-shutter.html)

Markus Klatt February 14th, 2010 04:09 PM

Is this CMOS rolling shutter?

Yesterday I filmed *as always* I fireworks display. I know of the rolling shutter effect of the EX1, but never had real problems with it.

Yesterday was 0°C. And as you can see in this short test, at any flash, or even any bright light, there is a horizontal cut approx. at the top quarter of the picture, always at the same place. This happened even, when I controlled the lense with a flashlight afterwards.

I am worried that this is not normal, maybe caused by the 0°C and humid air, I don't know.

Any hints, for this, please?
I could not check, if its "gone" now, but I will check do tomorrow.

/* edit - problem solved, tired operator or magic, but its gone */

Brian Rhodes February 14th, 2010 05:34 PM

Markus what are the settings on your cam? I try to never to go above 6 on the gain settings.

Serena Steuart February 14th, 2010 05:49 PM

I see no sign of that effect in the posted clip. Sure you've linked the correct video?

David Chapman February 14th, 2010 05:56 PM

It looks like rolling shutter to me. You may want to control your shutter manually, though.

Dave Morrison February 14th, 2010 07:49 PM

I couldn't see any banding either. Wrong file linked to?

Jeff Kellam February 14th, 2010 09:06 PM

Rolling shutter wouldn't show on my 24" screen at all and I watched in 1080P fullscreen. There is massive block noise and fringing, but that's the compression.

I was also suprised at the large monochromatic and chromatic aberations that lens has. If you look at that tower on the left in the distance as well as the buildings, they are visibly leaning over at pretty severe angles.

The fireworks look okay. Im sure the uncompressed file looks great.

Vincent Oliver February 15th, 2010 12:25 AM

Ditto............. I can't see any problem. Maybe your NLE is producing a proxy version, once rendered it appears to be OK

Markus Klatt February 15th, 2010 04:35 AM

Thanks for all your input!

/* edit */
I cannot believe. Yesterday it was that obvious, the native footage, the rendered footage, the rendered footage uploaded to YouTube - all this showed the flickering in the top quarter. I tested on two different PCs and even checked today in office.
But now, there is nothing left, nowhere. I cannot believe.

Maybe I should sleep more than 5 hours a day, I don't know. It was that visible...

My deepest excuse for steeling your time for nothing!
Next time I will wait one day before asking.

Unbelievable, really.

Uli Mors February 15th, 2010 10:00 AM

oh yes, there is rolling shutter banding effect , for example 0:44 and later (when flashes get more heavy).

a) on some fireworks, banding doesnt show so much since there is no single flash but dozens, so the effect is not that intrusive

b) have you tried the new banding correction in the EX clip browser software?

Kind regards

ULi

Ian Planchon February 15th, 2010 11:56 AM

I didnt really notice any problems either. I would say its not the cold temps though, I have had my ex3 in -35 with no problems at all.