DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   12v power connector polarity (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/472991-12v-power-connector-polarity.html)

Shaughan Flynn February 16th, 2010 01:46 PM

12v power connector polarity

Anyone know what the polarity of the power connector is on an EX1/3?

Giroud Francois February 16th, 2010 02:02 PM

usually it is written on the power supply

Kevin Spahr February 16th, 2010 02:08 PM

The outer shell is negative, pin is positive.

Bo Skelmose February 16th, 2010 02:52 PM

Check it with a meter from the AC supply. I remember, as if it was a strange choice from SONY. I'm not sure....

Alex Dolgin February 16th, 2010 03:17 PM

Kevin is correct. The inner pin is plus.
HTH

Bo Skelmose February 16th, 2010 03:51 PM

almost certain that pin is minus and shell is positive - i'll check

Grabbed this : The EXDC1 4 Pin XLR to DC Adaptor is sold as a "stand alone" product and is simply a "pass through" that meets the polarity standards of the Sony XDCAM EX cameras when used with industry standard 4 Pin XLR power configurations.

Due to the fact that this cable is a “pass through” with no voltage regulation, it is the user’s responsibility, when using the EXDC1, to ensure that power sources meet both the polarity and voltage requirements of their camera or equipment. (EXDC1 Specs Pin 4 to Shell, Pin 1 to Tip)

4pin XLR are are pin 1 minus and pin 4 positive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.filmwareproducts.com/Vort.../VM-EXDC1.html

Warren Kawamoto February 16th, 2010 04:24 PM

Bo,
Your information is wrong. While XLR 4 pin is pin 1=negative and pin 4=positive, on the camera side, center pin is positive, outer shell is negative. I just confirmed this by using a voltmeter on the output.
Sony does have a non-standard dc connector, by that they mean it's SHAPE and size is non-standard, not the polarity.
Just to be clear to not confuse anyone, center pin is positive, outer shell is negative.

Bo Skelmose February 16th, 2010 04:32 PM

Great - you have to be 100 % sure before you connect - so now there should not be any problem with this :-)
Sorry to have confused you.

Paul Hudson February 16th, 2010 05:36 PM

Always check polarity with a multi meter. This is not something you want to make the wrong decision on. The results could be a disaster.

Paul Hudson
Lizardlandvideo.com
Phoenix video production

Paul Kellett February 17th, 2010 05:26 AM

Centre pin is definitely positive, i've just made a lead to power my EX1 from the top stage of my Pilot.
The lead has been used a coulpe of times, nothing blew up.
Centre pin is +.

Paul.

Piotr Wozniacki February 17th, 2010 06:39 AM

Confirmed.

John Hedgecoe February 17th, 2010 08:00 AM

Yes, center pin is positive (+).

Richard Crowley February 17th, 2010 08:29 AM

I have made several power cords for my EX1 and I can confirm that center pin is positive and outer shell is negative. And the industry-standard 4-pin XLR wiring is 1=negative, and 4-positive with no connection to pin 2 or 3. I actually found one of the RadioShack modular power connectors that fits the my EX1 perfectly.

I once made the mistake of wiring a power cable reversed and plugged in one of my Sony DXC-3000 cameras. Surprisingly, the only casualty was the three op-amp ICs in the Fujinon lens servo circuitry. The main camera body was protected against reverse voltage by the internal DC-DC converter power supply module. The camera circuitry doesn't actually run directly from the nominal 12V coming in from the outside. I also have a DSR-300 and the service manual shows that it has a similar power-handling scheme.

NOTE, however, that the current models may very well have very different power handling schemes than those older models. I don't have any knowledge of the EX1 internals and I would assume that feeding it reverse polarity would FRY it to crispy, smoking cinders.

Shaughan Flynn February 17th, 2010 09:58 AM

Thanks, gents. Built my cable last night. Works like a champ.