Nano Flash drive and EX-1R at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 17th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Nano Flash drive and EX-1R

Hello peeps.

Does this flash drive work with the cache recording on the EX-1R? Is it still possible to under/overcrank with the Nano Flash, or just with SxS cards?

Thanks.
Craig Kovatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #2
Major Player

put your question over in the CD forum
Convergent Design nanoFlash Forum - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Anything said below here is my usual obnoxious opinion.

Cache in the camera is looping data around internally that would head off to the internal memory, if an EXTERNAL device feeding off the SDI or HDMI exists it would have to have its own cache to do the same thing for what it is storing on its memory.
they are working on that.

Overcranking is just setting a record frame rate different and tagging the playback rate different then changing the compression ratio to match the playback, again it is being done in the camera, an external device is going to do the best it can do, but i cant see how the external device will be fully controlled by the camera.
they are working on that, and are in beta

I just mention that , because even if they include everything i think you will find that there are limitations to an external device, so doing something and doing it automatically and correctally all by itself AND being external too, would be a miracle, at the least its going to be a setup in the external device.
from the things i am reading there, the outputs only provide so much stuff, and they are amasingly using really smart assumptions of what the camera is up to, but limited to what it provides.

If you want to speed stuff up, in post all you have to do is toss out frames , if you want to slow stuff down all you have to do is have many many frames to begin with, if you want to have something to work with in post then you have less compression.
so crank it up, use lots of data, alter it in post, and you could do it right NOW.
Old February 17th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #3
Trustee

I shouldn't try to answer these great questions since I don't have lots of experience with my Nanoflash, but it has a feature called "Prebuffer." The Nanoflash afterall, doesn't need the camera itself to be in the recording mode for the Nano to be recording the live feed from the SDI. So when the Prebuffer box on the menu is checked, it is storing a few seconds of the live feed, then once the record button is pressed causing the timecode to increment it writes the prebuffered data to the CF card and commences appending the realtime data.

So I don't think you even need for the camera itself to have a cache recording mode, any cam should work. My guess is you would not use the EX1r's cache recording mode with the Nano.

As for the overcranking, I don't know.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds