DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Questions about EX1r Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/473088-questions-about-ex1r-camera.html)

Silas Barker February 17th, 2010 07:06 PM

Questions about EX1r Camera

So while I am Not planning on buying this camera right now, I am thinking of upgrading later and starting research now.

1. Can you mix footage from the EX1r with Sony Z1/Z5 or does EX blow the Z1 with too good footage?

2. How is the auto focus? nearly as fast as CCD?

3. Is the zoom ability comparable, better, or worse then Z1 or Z5?

4. How long does the battery last that comes with it? (I know...I need the $200 long life battery probably)

5. Ever used the EX on a Glidecam, how long can you last?

6. Can you email me some still images from the EX? Email to silasbarker@ymail.com

7. Going hand-held all day how does the weight of the camera work out?

8. Can you use the camera as the VCR so to speak with the memory cards or do you need a separate device for reading the memory cards?

9. Any other comments, dislikes, or likes?

Walter Brokx February 18th, 2010 06:53 AM

few anwsers

I don't know all the anwsers (I don't work that often with a Z1 or Z5), but I can make a start:

4) Approach 2 hours, probably less (it depends on using viewvinder or LCD, and whether you use manual or serve zoom, and the use of autofocus and auto-iris). The U60 should last approx. 4 hours.

6) I don't have any stills yet. This was shot 2 years ago with the first EX-1:
NCRV - VideoTalent.nl

7) The camera without battery, mic and whatelse you want to attach weighs 2,4kg. Not really light, but weight is just one thing. I guess it depends on your physical state. Compared to a PD-170 it's a really heavy camera.

8) Yes, you can use it as VCR to playback or load clips. (This is in the manual you can download at Sony). Offcourse you can get a seperate device, but you don't have to if you don't want to.

9) Just got my EX1R, so I still have to 'develop a opinion'. Up to now: I like the camera!

Silas Barker February 18th, 2010 10:15 PM

Cool cool, they just need to replace the Z1's CCds with 1/2" and I'll be happy :p

Tom Robertson February 18th, 2010 10:25 PM

I have read about a "jerky zoom" problem at slower zoom speeds. Anyone have any experience with this issue?

Silas Barker February 18th, 2010 10:32 PM

EX1r might be different then EX (EX1r is the same camera with some improvements)

Bill Rankin February 18th, 2010 10:51 PM

jerky zoom

When attempting a very slow zoom out I noticed a slight jerky pull. It is the only thing that is disappointing. I have read elsewhere on DVINFO that Sony says it is not a defect.

Hiram Yates February 19th, 2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silas Barker (Post 1487496)
1. Can you mix footage from the EX1r with Sony Z1/Z5 or does EX blow the Z1 with too good footage?

I have mixed Z1 footage with EX1 footage with really good results. The only thing to keep in mind is the Z1 needs more light then the EX1 so as long as you're shooting where there is plenty of light they play pretty nice together.

Quote:

2. How is the auto focus? nearly as fast as CCD?

I don't use auto-focus, so I can't really shine any light here.

Quote:

3. Is the zoom ability comparable, better, or worse then Z1 or Z5?

In my experience the zoom on the EX1 is a little jerky to start at slow speeds but once it's going it's nice and smooth. I haven't used the Z1 nearly as much, but I'd say they are at least comprable.

Quote:

4. How long does the battery last that comes with it? (I know...I need the $200 long life battery probably)

The U30 (which comes with the camera) averages right around 2 hours. The U60 is right in at around 4 hours.

Quote:

5. Ever used the EX on a Glidecam, how long can you last?

This will of course vary from person to person but I used an EX1 on a Glidecam for a short film that was shot over 4 days. The whole film was shot on Glidecam, no sticks or handheld. In between takes I of course took the sled off the arm and threw it on a C-Stand and by the end of the day I was definitely tired, but it wasn't agonizing.

Quote:

7. Going hand-held all day how does the weight of the camera work out?

Again, this will vary but I currently mostly use my EX1 shooting a TV show. On that set we use 1 EX1 on sticks and 2 on shoulder mounts. Again, we of course set cameras down between takes and everything, but we shoot 8 hours per episode and it never gets agonizing.

Quote:

8. Can you use the camera as the VCR so to speak with the memory cards or do you need a separate device for reading the memory cards?

You can use the camera to play your clips on TV or using a USB port on the camera you can use it to dump the cards to your computer. No separate device is required.

Quote:

9. Any other comments, dislikes, or likes?

My biggest gripe with the EX1 (which has been changed in the redesign of the EX1r) is the video-out cable is located right behind where you put your right hand on the side grip. So, if you're sending out a video feed to a monitor it digs into your hand or pulls out of the port all the time. I mostly use a shoulder mount instead of handheld which mostly removes this issue, but it can still be very annoying. However, as I said, the port has been relocated on the EX1r, so this is really a moot point.

Otherwise I don't really have any gripes with the EX1. It's, in my opinion, the best camera you can get if you have $6000 burning a hole in your pocket.