New Schneider Platinum 1/2 Stop IR for CMOS Sensors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 19th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #1
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

New Schneider Platinum 1/2 Stop IR for CMOS Sensors

Schneider is pleased to announce our new Platinum 1/2 Stop IR filter. We have talked about this in other threads but this the official thread with images of the filter and before/after shots.

As the name suggests, this filter losses 1/2 stop of light and as you can see from the images must be white balanced to compensate for the natural blue/green cast in the filter. This is an absorbtive filter so it can be used anywhere in an optical series making it perfect for use in DOF adapters as well as regular use. It is available in 77mm and popular square and rectangular matte box sizes. 77mm is $250 list price.

Special Limited Time Offer: Trade in your exisiting IR solution for which you may not be pleased with the performance and receive a $75 discount on a new Schneider Platinum 1/2 Stop IR. Please contact Ryan Avery at Schneider Optics for details.

There are also a series of Platinum IRND filters coming in April that do not have a color cast and details will follow as well.

Sample images attached are taken with tungsten lighting on black material and white balanced after the filter was put in place. More dvinfo.net actual user reviews to follow.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Attached Thumbnails
New Schneider Platinum 1/2 Stop IR for CMOS Sensors-platinum-half-stop-ir.jpg   New Schneider Platinum 1/2 Stop IR for CMOS Sensors-platinum-1.jpg  

New Schneider Platinum 1/2 Stop IR for CMOS Sensors-platinum-2.jpg  
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Trustee

How much is the filter?
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #3

List price is $250 USD for a 77mm size or $175 USD with your trade in IR filter. Other sizes range in cost up or down depending.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #4
Major Player

I'd have to see unbiased tests stacking this up against the T1 for me to have faith that this new filter will do BETTER than my existing T1.

I have an open mind as to the results - but 250.00 is a little ridiculous for a 77mm. I don't want to be charged for your research and development. Can't you reduce the price to 100.00, and make a profit in a more timely fashion?
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #5

Chad,

Unbaised user reviews will follow shortly. This thread is meant to show you the new filter and preliminary tests. This is a finished product not prototype; R&D is complete.

Thanks,
Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Old February 19th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #6
Major Player

Then why does it cost 250.00 to coat a 77mm piece of glass from Schneider, but only 75.00 for Teffin?
Old February 19th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #7
Trustee

I'm extremely happy with my 486, I see no advantage to this new filter. The T1 was a waste of money. Does this new filter offer anything better than the T1, I'm concerned that as it's a dye based filter it will have much the same issues.

Can we please get a spectrograph of this filter, they're the only way to know what a filter is doing.

Last edited by Bob Grant; February 19th, 2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Added additional question
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I felt I had to take a minute and send a small kudos to Ryan at Schneider Optics.

Honestly, I have not purchased an IR filter (yet) for my EX-3. But, I appreciate the fact that a representative from Schneider reads the threads, hears about potential issues, and tries to present potential solutions.

Obviously, increasing sales for their company is a desired outcome - but having a rep take time to answer basic questions and present information (albeit naturally biased in some cases) only allows us all to make better informed decisions.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and they are all welcome from my perspective. That's what makes me better informed when I decide on a purchase.

So whether we each may believe one particular filter (or accessory for that matter) is priced too high, too low, or performs great - or very poorly based on our needs - it's great that there are some companies out there who are still willing to find ways to better understand and serve their customers by reading and addressing our comments as best as possible.
Ed Przyzycki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 12:54 AM   #9
New Boot

Hi Ryan

Good to hear you're trying to improve the EX series of cameras.

Personally I have an EX3 and I really like the colour it gives to the skin tones - the subtle red hues and depth in the faces. I agree with Sony - it is a feature! Its just a pity of the effect it has with synthetic black

Recently I used the 486 filter because of a black / magenta t-shirt. Yes it cured that but at the expense of making the faces more yellow and loose a lot of their life. In reality this person had a bit more pink to her complexion.
I think one of the reason I like the EX3 is that the skin tones look so life like and radiant

So my wish for this new filter is that it cuts off less of the IR red than the 486, but still makes black, black.
With the new Platinum range coming in April will there be different degrees of IR cut that we can use?
Steve Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Ryan,

Thanks for the trade-in offer! nice to see that Schneider believes in their products

Can you clarify your comment about the coming "Platinum IRND" filters: are the April filters combined IR and ND, or will they include a new/improved IR (no ND) that doesn't have the color cast that the pending IR one does?
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 04:39 PM   #11
Trustee

Interesting. Looking forward to the tests and to comparisons to the T1.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 02:19 PM   #12
Major Player

I'm interested in any test results as well. I realize no solution is perfect short of the camera makers getting it right the first time. But there may be trade-offs to weigh between the top IR contenders that blur the line as to which filter is best for a particular shooter's needs.

Is there any chance there might be a return policy that might allow a return after we try for ourselves if it doesn't work for us as well as a 486 or a T1?

Thanks

Chad
Old February 22nd, 2010, 06:44 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Please forgive.. I am new. What is the IR filter used for?

This is the filter I have B+W 77mm UV Haze 010 Filter. Is this a good filter for shooting outdoors in bright sunlight?
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:04 PM   #14
Major Player

Eddie.

The EX1 camera sometimes makes black fabrics look brown or reddish. That is referred to as "far red" contamination. IR filters attempt to correct this problem.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 09:26 PM   #15
Trustee

B&H always has a return policy as I recall.

So do many shops.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds