DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   PP files transfered from CPU ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/473340-pp-files-transfered-cpu.html)

Michael B. McGee February 21st, 2010 11:19 PM

PP files transfered from CPU ?

i tried transferring a PP (setup.suf) file that was created in an EX3 from a MBP to a SDHC card. I made several attempts,1) using the built in SDHC card reader and my USD-SDHC card reader. i successfully transferred the file to the SDHC card but my EX1 didn't not recognize or wasn't able to read the file. basically, i couldn't upload the PP into my camera. is this because my EX1 can't recognize a EX3 .SUF file or might there have been a problem with writing the file to my SDHC card?

part 2: when you write a PP from a CPU to a SxS or SDHC card, do you have to write the complete SONY folder or can you just write the setup.suf file?

thanks,
Mike

Bruce Rawlings February 22nd, 2010 01:31 AM

I think it's common knowledge that the PPs are not interchangeable. The Vortex Media DVD covers this point. The values can be entered into either camera manually but not by copying the suf file. If you look back through the archive it was an issue when the EX3 was released.

Alister Chapman February 22nd, 2010 01:31 AM

An EX1 cannot read the PP from an EX3 and vice versa.

Michael B. McGee February 22nd, 2010 06:44 AM

i know the PP don't correlate with each other for whatever reason, but in this case it seems strange because they're just numerical values. 1 should always equal 1 and so on, right?

Kevin Spahr February 22nd, 2010 06:49 AM

The .SUF for the EX3 has more parameters than the one for the EX1, for example you can store lens information for when you change lenses - something not needed on an EX1.

I guess the camera checks the file before using it.

Michael B. McGee February 22nd, 2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Spahr (Post 1489282)
The .SUF for the EX3 has more parameters than the one for the EX1, for example you can store lens information for when you change lenses - something not needed on an EX1.

I guess the camera checks the file before using it.

BINGO!!! sounds like we got a winner. now its making sense. thanks.

what about part 2 of my original post?

Doug Jensen February 23rd, 2010 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B. McGee (Post 1489194)
part 2: when you write a PP from a CPU to a SxS or SDHC card, do you have to write the complete SONY folder or can you just write the setup.suf file?

The setup file is independent, so you can move it around all by itself. Just make sure to put it back in the right directory when you want the camera to recognize it again.

Michael B. McGee February 23rd, 2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1489720)
The setup file is independent, so you can move it around all by itself. Just make sure to put it back in the right directory when you want the camera to recognize it again.

excuse my inexperience, but when you say "directory", does that mean folder/s?

Adam Stanislav February 23rd, 2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 1489231)
An EX1 cannot read the PP from an EX3 and vice versa.

Alister, is there a document that describes the two formats? If there is, it should be a simple matter to write a conversion program, or even an editor. Quite frankly, I am surprised Sony is not having such a program available for free download.

Adam Stanislav February 23rd, 2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B. McGee (Post 1490049)
excuse my inexperience, but when you say "directory", does that mean folder/s?

Directory, folder, different names for the same thing.