EX & Premiere CS4 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 28th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #31
Major Player

Steve

I've noticed that you can see the assigned names in the preview window. But how is that useful?

At the start of a project, I'll have 50 to 100 clips in the clip bin. I'd like to knowsomething about those clips as they sit in the bin. If PP showed the names I give them in Sony Clip Borwser it would be easy. Scroll down to the clip you want and drop it into the preview window.

as it stands now, it's a huge guessing game...unless I use mxf for nle.

At this point I will create one copy to a HD with the BPAV folders and a second copy with mxf for nle
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #32
Trustee

Steve, thanks for the tip. I was aware that you can preview the EX files in the source window, but this means having to open each file in turn to see the content. Clip Browser gives you the thumbnail previews, which Premiere doesn't. However, to see a playback of a clip in Clip Browser you do have to open it in the CB preview window.
Old February 28th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #33
Trustee

Vincent, in Premiere's Project window, you can select Small, Medium & Large Thumbnail to display to the left of the file. Also, when you click on a file, there is a small window at the top of the Project window that allows you to quickly play it.

Ed, the "Clip Bin" you are referring to is what - the "Media Browser"?
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 04:28 AM   #34
Trustee

Steve,

Thanks for that tip. I generally just tend to use Media Browser to bring in clips to the project. The project window is nearly always set to List View.

What I would like is being able to preview the EX files, or see as thumbnails, in Media Browser before adding them to a project. At them moment I can only preveiw the files in Clip Browser. Once in a Premiere project I can see the clips as you suggest. Maybe the anser is to bring in all the clips and then remove the ones that are not needed.
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:19 PM   #35
Major Player

Steve

Yes, Media Browser. Don't know where I got clip bin. Sorry.

I do like the thumbnail in projects list. But that is later in the process. I'm like Vincent, when I first start looking at a hard drive, all I see is numbers in Media Browser. I want to see the names I gave the clips in Clip Browser.
Old March 1st, 2010, 08:08 PM   #36
Vortex Media

Ed, as I said before, I know nothing about Premiere, so I'm wondering why you are renaming clips in Clip Browser? That is certainly not a workflow I'd ever recommend for Final Cut Pro or Vegas.

I name my clips within the camera, when they are shot, and I'd never, ever think of renaming after that. That name is like a serial number that will always be unique to that clips in all of its MOV, MP4, and MXF variations. I want my BPAV archives and my MOV converted files to always have the same name.

Why do you rename clips?
Old March 1st, 2010, 08:13 PM   #37
Major Player

Sorry Doug I wasn't clear...I add TITLES in the meta data that Clip Browser provides. You can add titles and descriptions there. I'd like that title to show up in the Media Browser of PP.

I really jacked up all my descriptions on this one, eh?
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:06 AM   #38
Trustee

Ed the better workflow would be to use the Media Browser to add all your working clips clips into a Project Bin, from here you can preview each clip as a thumbnail and also view a live preview (top left hand corner). Now simply remove/delete the unwanted clips from your project.

The deleted clips still remain on your hard drive, you have only removed them from your project. Like Doug, I always give a unique name to my files in camera, that way I know what job they are associated with before looking at any preview.

There are many ways of working with video, some people prefer one method over another, but what ever works for you should be OK. We are always tweaking our own workflows and probably will do so until we cease to be videographers.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:07 AM   #39
Major Player

Vincent

That is a very good workaround.
Thanks

Ed
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:45 AM   #40
Trustee

Glad it was of use to you. I also meant to mention that you can rename your clips in the Project thumbnails, the new name will only appear in your project, the original clips retain their default clip names. But if you can see the previews then I don't see why you would want to rename the clips.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds