Sony EX1 Microphone Holder Broken - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 12th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Sony's mic holder is too fragile. Only takes a little bump on the shotgun mic, and there goes $60.
60 bucks! It's about $130 in Canada. Good to know. Guess I will be buying my replacement (for when I sell my EX3) in the USofA.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post
I complained to a Sony technician about the weakness of the Sony mic mount. He said it was designed that way. Think of it as a "crumple zone."
That's marketing/sales speak in my view. I have owned a few Sony video cameras. This mic holder was poorly designed. Maybe not originally intended to break so easily but it does and they charge a ridiculous price for a replacement. My solution including the Rode shockmount will be less injurious to the camera should the mic receive the equivalent of blunt force trauma during a shoot than the original mount.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #18
Inner Circle

My original Sony mic mount broke, and I was using it in conjunction with another mic mount that allows quite a bit of soft deflection.

Instead of buying a replacement, I fixed it. I also did the same epoxy repair to the other camera's mount that wasn't broken.

With all the movement I do in small spaces, the repaired and modified Sony mic mounts haven't broken and no damage has ever been done to either camera.
Old May 13th, 2010, 03:53 AM   #19
Trustee

The fix = Gaffa tape.

It's the same problem here in Sydney, to replace the clip is almost $100.
So good old Gaffa tape will always work.

Cheers
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:24 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I reviewed both replacement mic-holders/hot-shoe-mounts a while back:

Review: hot shoe adapters for the SONY EX camera | Erwinvandijck.com

regards,
Erwin
Erwin van Dijck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #21
Inner Circle

BTW, if anyone wants theirs fixed, and you still have all the bits and pieces, then I can help you with the repairs. It's not very difficult.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds