ex1r audio question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:51 PM   #1
Major Player

ex1r audio question

going to be shooting a play tomorrow night. just so im clear, since i will be getting a line from the board, i simply switch to line under the xlr and ext on the back setting of cam.
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:15 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stamos View Post
going to be shooting a play tomorrow night. just so im clear, since i will be getting a line from the board, i simply switch to line under the xlr and ext on the back setting of cam.
Yes, that is basically it. Assuming that by "line" you mean "line-level".
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 01:15 AM   #3
Major Player

check out the menu BEFORE you go, luckily the audio menu is seperated, unlike the mixxed up mess of the rest of top and bottom menu items.
after you connect test, you might need to adjust something. there are trims in there. (weird they are ghosted now)

you probably already know about setting the audio wheel things to about 5 , and being in manuel, before trimming (in menu) or asking the board operator to adjust the output they are feeding to you.

then tune the AGC to low-med-high if your going to use it, if your not then watch out and listen close.

turn the Limiter OFF, nasty things they are. After you make a range adjustement , and IF your not paying attention, then turn the limiter back on, as a safety thing. NEVER have the limiter on when your making your inital settings/adjustments.
limiters CLIP, which is better than smashing into the roof, but its like being chained down to 1 foot below the roof, its still going to hurt when you hit the end of the chain.

think about weather you want the AUTO to be ganged or not, it would be approporate to gang the auto when feeding a CD in (say) but board operators are not perfect, and say a wireless mic goes pop crasy, or something. having the auto Ganged will ruin both sounds when/if one is going badly. which means after a problem not only will you have mono (after post correction), but a worse mono.

Disclaimer, havent hooked it to a board yet, and even if i did it wouldnt be the PRIMARY camera that i would hook to the board. i would only do that after i have SOME sort of MY OWN AUDIO going into one of the cameras. IMO its sort of better to snag the board feed with an external device, WHY ? because then you are sure to always have a SYNCable sound in the camera, then you know where the other sound belongs to the video.

Disclaimer II , hey i am just working with this camera item myself, your the one still doing the shoot, test anything when you have a chance , or its to late after you get there. I am just interested in talking about using it, going over it all before i have to do it with that specific camera

Last edited by Marty Welk; March 3rd, 2010 at 02:00 AM.
Marty Welk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:11 AM   #4
Major Player

audio

fortunately, this is a dress rehearsal, so i will test it thoroughly.
on my dsr300 i always had the limiter on and there was nver a problem,also always ran a direct box between the board and my camera
Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:26 AM   #5
Major Player

audio on ex1r

had a suggestion to get an audio technical 8202 attenuator. how is this different from a direct box?
Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:30 AM   #6
Major Player

adjustable attenuation, still no isolation transformer.
if the camera has trimmers (does it?) it seems like it wouldnt be needed.
i wouldnt pay $34 bucks for a resister addition myself , being a cheapskate, and it doesnt have isolation sooo??? i donno.

It could totally save your butt, let me say that. if the board feed is way to hot, and reguardless of internal digital camera trimming IF the input curcuit cant handle the levels then the feed will distort. Externally attenuate that signal, and your life gets saved.
(edited that in)

most of the Audio board people NOW , will adjust my feed to compensate for me. a few years back without the extensive digital boards, and before they spent $$$$ on all this stuff, the feed sometimes could be "what you hear is what you get" and a mixer would be essential.

why isolation? He he, because if a board gets a nasty feedback, something goes terribly wrong, guess who they will PULL out thinking that they are the fault? when i hook up isolated and show them and tell them it is isolated, then they look at what they are doing , instead of jerking me out and leaving my audio on the floor :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds