DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   mixing resolutions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/474022-mixing-resolutions.html)

David John Perry March 3rd, 2010 01:40 AM

mixing resolutions

Am I right in thinking you can't mix resolutions in the timeline. I notice that the ex-1 wont allow slow motion in any other resolution than 720p. Does this mean that if I want to shoot some slow motion sequences the whole project will have to be edited in 720p? One other question...., while I'm at it.....what is the difference between 720p and 1080p. I've tried both resolutions and can't see much of a difference.

Marty Welk March 3rd, 2010 01:49 AM

most timelines handle resolution changes.
you have your "settings" for the project, that the editor program will attempt to conform things to those as the final outputs. that also means that any offset resolutions from your project output settings will also Have TO be resized taking power/time to do so, and will be resized doing a bit of damage to it in the process.

yes 720 looks pretty darn good :-) even on the 42". There is less pixels so with the Same MB/S the compression isnt as high either. (when frame rate is the same)

David John Perry March 3rd, 2010 01:58 AM

thanks for your response. I'm about to shoot an eight episode cooking series and am wondering what style to shoot it in. I love the p look but find myself a little disconcerted by motion blur. 720p works better on my IMAC as well. Is there any real need for greater resolution than 720p as my stuff will be seen on local t.v. and maybe a couple of networks here in New Zealand.?

Marty Welk March 3rd, 2010 02:14 AM

I dont do broadcast. and i dont do pal. (i have but i dont)

i just tested my Very first (unbelieveable huh) 30p on a dance program, and i really dont like the frame rate :-( , normal people didnt notice, but it sucks for high action stuff. and i tried a (180* - 1/60) shutter and that dont fix the action.

i still dont know what to do with that, the progressive is much cleaner and clearer, but the frame rate is certannly not enough. Even on ALL my LCD devices, the frame rate looks better in 60i, that doesnt make sence because the LCDs are displaying progressive(ly) ??? even though they are fast LCD models. if there is no Action, i would do 30p in a second with this CMOS stuff, but even a Pan is action :-)

In america the HD resolution stuff is (so far) completly insane. we got one program in full HD , next program in 720, commertial comes on its 720 or even SD, then program changes and it isnt HD at all, nothing but a confused pile of resolution mixups, and they didnt even upscale for the user on some channels/things.
on one LCD it AUTO changes for all these crasy resolution changes, and just crops OUT the black edges (when on auto). on a cheaper HDTV the different resolutions have to be adjusted manuely, or just left being smaller use of the screen. The digital broadcast itself from what i can tell stays in its specific resolution, the material not.

Now dont get me wrong, this all makes me Very happy :-) seeing that the expert broadcast $$$$ cant get anything right :-) it just seems like a strange way of doing things, as if nobody is even watching.

David John Perry March 3rd, 2010 02:41 AM

It's really confusing. I can't understand half of what you've just told me!!!!!...but I reckon you're dead right about action footage...avoid progressive, too much movement. I will be shooting in autumn here and I thought autumnal colours would look great 25p but then sometimes, when I'm shooting a two header interview I like to pan between subjects which I think is a bit of a no no with progressive. I would have to restrain myself. I guess that comes back to my original question....could I shoot my cooking demonstrations interlaced and my scenics progressive....

Marty Welk March 3rd, 2010 02:52 AM

uhh yes. how to say simply . .
you can have an "interlace" signal that was originally captured in full frame progressive time.

so if your signal is interlaced Feilds you can still have a Frame (2 feilds) that was one pass, and when displayed in interlace it will be "progressive frame displayed in interlace".

reverse that, if you have a interlace frame being displayed in progressive, is must be de-interlaced to look ok, at a loss.

if the display is all interlace, then both types of Frame capture will display just fine.
if the display , transport, broadcast, editing, or whatever anywhere along the line is locked to a progressive low frame rate, then the interlace will HAVE TO be deinterlaced and will have little value having been shot as interlace.

i think it is easier to just understand what these Interlace and progressive things actually ARE, than to try and understand that one :-)

Craig Seeman March 3rd, 2010 08:56 AM

"i just tested my Very first (unbelieveable huh) 30p on a dance program, and i really dont like the frame rate :-( , normal people didnt notice, but it sucks for high action stuff"

"you're dead right about action footage...avoid progressive,"
_______

What do you think 720p60 (or p50) is for?!!!! FAST ACTION.

Perrone Ford March 3rd, 2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Seeman (Post 1494205)
"you're dead right about action footage...avoid progressive,"
_______

What do you think 720p60 (or p50) is for?!!!! FAST ACTION.

Amazing, considering NFL Films has been shooting progressive footage for 50 years or more.

Marty Welk March 3rd, 2010 09:25 AM

so are we to assume now that people who watch NFL have vast superior knowledge of frame rates? or that beer slows things down conciderably :-)

I was watching 6 huge Screens in a sport pizza parlor, showing whatever sporting events, and they seems to be using to much shutter too , but of what i could tell only 2 of the 6 sporting events using fast action also didnt have enough frame rate to cover it. Overall what i saw was AWESOME HD brilliance , amasing picture quality, but other than that i would have rather seen it on a CRT in 60i :-)
next time i will try the tequelia and see if it adds back the motion blurring :-)

first one to set thier computers refresh rate to 24 gets a prize :-)