EX1R Mic Included? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1R Mic Included?

I have seen many pics of the new EX1R with a shotgun attached. The B&H site shows the camera without the mic. Can anyone confirm whether or not this camera comes with a microphone included?

This Sony product page show a mic and in the description below, says

"built in stereo microphone and two-channel audio input."

I may purchase from DV Source in Mississauga, Ontario.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Major Player

The very front of the top handle is a built-in stereo mic. A holder for a shotgun mic is also included. A shotgun mic to go into the holder is not included.
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Major Player

that was a cool feature it having some sort of ambient stereo mic on the camera, but no semi-directional stick mic, most people wouldnt use the built in semi-directional stick mic anyways, replacing it with a senheister or something. and one of the other models has Nothing there at all, so i was happy to have something vrses nothing.
i have an extra one of the stock mics they put on these thing, i doubt i will ever use, sell it cheap :-)

Last edited by Marty Welk; March 4th, 2010 at 04:02 AM.
Marty Welk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 02:50 AM   #4
Major Player

I have noticed something weird about my shotgun mic holder on the EX1r. I can't use my Rode shotgun mic in that holder, as it will be loose even at the tightest setting.
I wonder if these sizes are not standardized...? Never happened with any other camera, so it seems the Rode is fine and the EX1r holder diameter is over sized.

Anyone else had this problem?
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:55 AM   #5
Major Player

yup read about it here with the rode just last week.

we have solutions such things 3 ways, get one of those rubber ring things with the 2 end flaps |=| , and insert it in there, I think they sell that stuff at B&H.

also one time i just put the soft side of thick Velcro in a loose mount that didnt have the rubber piece , the velcro fabric loops still keep the isolation going like the rubber does.

2 crossed nylon hair holders (for girls hair) doing the suspention mount thing in a figure 8, whatever it takes to settle it in and still have the isolation mount.
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for that intel guys. Looks like a fine camera just the same.
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos View Post
I have noticed something weird about my shotgun mic holder on the EX1r. I can't use my Rode shotgun mic in that holder, as it will be loose even at the tightest setting.
I wonder if these sizes are not standardized...? Never happened with any other camera, so it seems the Rode is fine and the EX1r holder diameter is over sized.

yeah read about it here on the forum as well. I wrapped my Rode NG2 with two turns of gaffer tape last shoot and it fit fine :)
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsolt Gordos View Post

Sony makes a mic spacer its about $11.00 the sony part number 317988201 this will allow you to mount Rode and other Mics without the mic being loose in the holder. This part was included with my Sony V1 cam, you also have to use the spacer with the Sony mics, it works great on my EX3.

https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/Par...px?stype=parts
Attached Images

Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I snipped up some garden hose.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #10
Major Player

i hope it was the anti kink kind with the built in isolation channels :-)
these mics on cam really need to have the isolation from the camera and operator , otherwise as things go all quiet on ya every squeak click snap and hand drag come out on your audio. <--- which sounds so amature as if there is a mic ON the camera :-) unbelieveable who would do such a thing without a boom operator. lots of things that a person might have to adjust on the camera Live, the direct menu, switching audio monitoring to one side, even slipping your hand onto the handle, rolling the menu roller, and as they AGE and get wear the plastic creaks and groans, and it all goes right into things like those front stereo mics. just slighty tap a Stick Mic, vrses a Hand held cardoid and you will hear it, conducts through the plastic camera easily right into the mic.
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:35 AM   #11
Regular Crew

That's why some sort of decent mic isolator is a must have for all these cameras.
Attached Images

Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 09:51 AM   #12
Major Player

Don, I have such thing, but why on earth to occupy my shoe mount it if there is a dedicated place for shotguns?
Actually I attach my Zoom recorder in the shoe mount for a secondary audio.
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Greening View Post
That's why some sort of decent mic isolator is a must have for all these cameras.
That's the mount I use. This kit lets it mount to any camera mic holder clamp.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/577744-REG/K_Tek_K_CA_K_CA_Clamp_Adapter_Kit.html
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
Sony makes a mic spacer its about $11.00 the sony part number 317988201 this will allow you to mount Rode and other Mics without the mic being loose in the holder. This part was included with my Sony V1 cam, you also have to use the spacer with the Sony mics, it works great on my EX3.

https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/Par...px?stype=parts
Thanks for the info Brian. Well, are those guys at Sony out of their minds? Selling a 6500$ camera and not including a piece of rubber to make it work? Its bloody ridiculous.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds