XDCAM EX Firmware Updates Available - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 16th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #136
Inner Circle

When Sony insisted on cameras going back to then for updates they got a lot of flack and a lot of people moaning about not being able to do it themselves. Now they have given users the option to do it themselves they are getting flack because a few people are having issues.

Sony are not forcing anyone to do the update themselves, you can still get it done by Sony or you can have it done by a dealer. Us end users now have a choice. It's no different to servicing a car. You can save money and do it yourself or take it to a dealer or to a local service center. If you mess up doing it yourself, say with a wrench that's not quite right and damages a bolt so it cant be removed, you have no recourse, if you get it done by a dealer and they mess it up then they would need to sort it.

It's up to you. The vast majority should have no problem with the update, but there will inevitably some failures, lets face it the EX1/EX3 was never designed to be updated by end users. A reputable dealer can do the update for you and it shouldn't cost much. If they mess it up, then they would have to fix it.
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #137
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Waree View Post
Does anyone know if third party cards such as this Transcend 32GB ExpressCard SSD from Amazon work with the firmware upgrade. I'm assuming that if SXS-1 cards works perfectly with the 1.20 firmware, then other USB based cards should have no problems.
Lexar Express 8 GB SSD card work in HQ with update NO OVER CRANKING
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:50 AM   #138
Regular Crew

Hey guys. This is my first post to the sony boards because I don't currently own one. However, I ran across this on a blog that I subscribe to earlier today. Hope this helps.

Looks like Sony has dropped the ball a little here.

Beware of Sony XDCAM EX firmware update ? EX3 bricked due to software malfunction, Sony “Prime”Support denies to repair damage | Nino Film - Blog - Nino Leitner
J. Chris Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #139
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
Lexar Express 8 GB SSD card work in HQ with update NO OVER CRANKING
My Lexar Express 16Gb SSD card still doesn't work in my EX3 after the Update. After about two seconds of recording I get the media error.

But, my CL10 Sandisk 16GB SDHC cards are ready to record again after only 2.5 seconds. That's almost a 5 second improvement from before the update. Also, full 60fps over cranking without a problem. I shot a bunch of flashing colored lights with a lot of intentional movement, panning, tilting and general crazy moves. No media errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Chris Moore View Post
Hey guys. This is my first post to the sony boards because I don't currently own one. However, I ran across this on a blog that I subscribe to earlier today. Hope this helps.

Beware of Sony XDCAM EX firmware update ? EX3 bricked due to software malfunction, Sony “Prime”Support denies to repair damage | Nino Film - Blog - Nino Leitner
The update went very smoothly. No problems. The only thing that tripped me up was whether to put the camera in VCR mode or Camera mode when it said to turn the device on. After my computer couldn't find it in camera mode I tried VCR and no problems from that point on. Did I miss that in the instructions?

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #140
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Us end users now have a choice.
Where is this expressed on Sony's site?
What is the cost to have Sony service centers do this?
What is their responsibility for repair if they brick the camera?
What is the cost to the user if they do it on their own and brick the camera?

If you've seen any of the above on any Sony site please do point the way.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #141
Regular Crew

Just upgraded EX1's

I have always been one of those daredevil types when it comes to hardware and software upgrades. I found the 1.20 firmware on the US Sony Pro site, downloaded and installed on two EX1's with no issues. One of my cameras was still on 1.03, and I had to reboot twice. But now it appears to be all caught up.

You need a very small Phillips head screwdriver to open the hidden USB port, and I highly recommend using a pair of needle-nose pliers or tweezers to lift and replace the cover. The instructions say to use the USB cable supplied with the camera, but I had no problems with a generic one.
Jerry Wiese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #142
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Where is this expressed on Sony's site?
What is the cost to have Sony service centers do this?
What is their responsibility for repair if they brick the camera?
What is the cost to the user if they do it on their own and brick the camera?

If you've seen any of the above on any Sony site please do point the way.
It's very clear on the Sony UK web site:

"IMPORTANT! Before attempting to upgrade your firmware please read the installation instructions carefully. Failure to follow the instructions may result in damage to your camcorder. If you don’t feel confident to upgrade the firmware yourself, contact either PrimeSupport, your Sony Accredited Dealer or Authorised Service Centre*

*There may be a charge incurred."

If Sony brick it or someone else bricks it then it should be thier responsibility, again just like a car dealer, if they break your car they would have to return it to the state it was in when you left it with them.

If you got your camera from a reputable dealer that would be where I would start. I don't know what the charges are, but it shouldn't be much for a dealer to do it for you, especially if they want to keep you as a loyal customer.
Old March 17th, 2010, 12:30 AM   #143
Major Player

Just performed the update with no problems with mac OS 10.6.2. My EX3 is a happy camper and over cranks on my sandisk cards now : ) I updated from firmware 1.02.
Thanks for all the "dvinfo" people.
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 01:23 AM   #144
New Boot

Updated firmware on a Windows 7 based HP dv2-1110us from version 1.05 without a hitch. However, I don't have generic SSD or adapters to test with; just that the SXS Pro 8 & 16GB still works fine.
Tony Waree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #145
Regular Crew

Just out of curiosity, I wonder if the people having problems have inadvertently tried do the update on your EX3 via the "normal" usb port rather than hidden port under the shoulder pad? Is that possible?
Evan Meades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #146
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
And Sony's massive savings by releasing the firmware to the public would more than offset fixing the few cameras that get bricked in the process.

When any company releases any hardware or software to the public they take on the responsibility of fixing those issues they missed.

There may be no way you can anticipate equipment failure in a shoot, for example, you still do your best to keep the client satisfied.

It's called Customer Service. It's also called good PR. If those with bricked cameras spread the word widely, Panasonic, JVC, Canon will benefit.
On the contrary, the massive savings goes to the end user. I don't have to spend $125 plus shipping for something I can do myself.

Agreed on good PR. Customer service is huge and with the internet word spreads fast.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #147
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
When Sony insisted on cameras going back to then for updates they got a lot of flack and a lot of people moaning about not being able to do it themselves. Now they have given users the option to do it themselves they are getting flack because a few people are having issues.

Sony are not forcing anyone to do the update themselves, you can still get it done by Sony or you can have it done by a dealer. Us end users now have a choice. It's no different to servicing a car. You can save money and do it yourself or take it to a dealer or to a local service center. If you mess up doing it yourself, say with a wrench that's not quite right and damages a bolt so it cant be removed, you have no recourse, if you get it done by a dealer and they mess it up then they would need to sort it.
Agreed, said perfectly Alister. And if you were planning on purchasing alternative media or want to benefit from the increased capabilities of the new firmware then it's a safer bet to have an authorized service center perform the upgrade for you. Despite the bricked cameras I am glad they gave us a choice this time around instead of forcing us to download firmware that was on a foreign Sony site for a day and could only be found on an end-user's web server.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:28 AM   #148
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Chris Moore View Post

Did you use a laptop or a desktop computer?
John Poipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #149
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Reuter View Post
Agreed, said perfectly Alister. And if you were planning on purchasing alternative media or want to benefit from the increased capabilities of the new firmware then it's a safer bet to have an authorized service center perform the upgrade for you. Despite the bricked cameras I am glad they gave us a choice this time around instead of forcing us to download firmware that was on a foreign Sony site for a day and could only be found on an end-user's web server.
Well said. I am happy to have the choice.
Furthermore, it looks to me that the EX1r has been designed for easy, bulletproof firmware upgrade from the SxS card rather than a tricky computer interface. It looks like the major problems are occuring with the EX1 & 3, where Sony has had to improvise a bit to develop the user upgrade procedure.
Old March 18th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #150
Inner Circle

I've been following this thread right from the start (I posted at No 2) but from what I've read I don't need the risk of upgrading my fully functioning EX3 right now - it's on the July 2008 launch firmware and has basically been problem free - I only ever experienced the loss of focus thing twice and a simple reboot fixed that on both occassions.

I use Kensington adapters with 16GB SDHC cards (I have 4 "combos" of these) infrequently - and never for overcranking - and three 8GB SxS cards all the time. So all this update will do for me is knock 3 x 2 minutes off my SxS card space (I'd rather have the extra 6 minutes of recording space!) and possibly make the KxS/KxT combos a little more reliable, especially for overcranking (that bit is more tempting, for sure). I can't see me buying any other media soon (of the SxS or cheaper kind) so all in all it's not really worth the risk of bricking my main business tool.

I'll sit it out a while longer I think and maybe review this again in a month. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds