XDCAM EX Firmware Updates Available - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 9th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #76
Trustee

Is "copy all clips" in the menu, as in copy all clips from slot to slot instead of one at a time ?
I believe this function is in the EX1-R, it'd be nice if the EX1 had it with this new firmware upgrade.
Maybe someone could check.

Paul.
Old March 9th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #77
Regular Crew

Paul- All I see is the same "Copy Clip". I don't see a copy all.
Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #78
Regular Crew

EX1: with new firmware - can copy/delete ONE clip at a time
Tuy Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #79
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Peters View Post
Be aware that the update is in two halves. The updater will ask you to turn the camera off and back on halfway through the update process. --Pete
This is very important for people to understand before doing the firmware update. When you do it, it will pause around the 50%, a message will come up clearly stating what you should do about powering the camera down for 10 seconds and then powering it back up and then continuing the firmware update process by clicking a button for the update to continue.

One thing that to be mindful of... towards the end of the second part of the update it appears to hang around 99%. The wait is painful. Patiently wait. It takes a couple of minutes for the update to "wrap up" once it hits the 99% mark. At least it did for me.

A message will come up at the end stating that the update is complete, once successfully done.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 04:38 AM   #80
Major Player

Copy All Clips ... didn't see it with new firmware

I looked through all the menus and did not see copy all clips with new firmware installed.
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:03 AM   #81
Major Player

Firmware Update.. installation notes

I a few things. I went to a Windows computer to do the update after having the installer fail to open with Mac OS X (others have posted ways to get it to load). Seemed stable enough once it was going. When it says to power down that means unplug the power cable, not switch off. Takes 15 minutes. There is a small note not to run any other applications while the update is taking place... I would heed that warning. My update went well and my Hoodman adapters seem to be more stable with the update.

With the Hoodman adapter and a 16 Gb Hoodman card I am able to record 720p 30 HQ overcranking 60/30 based on a quick test. I used to get restore errors which seemed to be reduced. Have to run through more shooting days to be sure, but I would recommend the update.

Jerky zoom issue: may be better, but I got the 2/3" (B4) adapter a while ago so pretty much gave up on the supplied lens. With fast zoom speed set to 3-5 in the menu I can press the handle zoom all the way down and it goes in all the way without hesitations that I remember. The real issue with the zom on the grip is that it "kicks in"instead of feathering in like a top quality rocker... that is no different after the update.
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #82
Major Player

Instructions are in Mac zip file only

Hilariously I spent ages wondering where on the Sony site the pdf of the instructions and release note pdf's were. They're not in the zip file you extract for the Windows installer. They are (all languages) in fact in the zip file with the Mac installer. Or the English one here as well :)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VerUpToolOM(E).pdf (428.0 KB, 3250 views)
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #83
Regular Crew

Camera first startup, be patient

After the update of my EX1 I switched the camera on. Nothing seemed to happen. After some retries I learned that I had to be patient. Switch on and wait for a minute or so after that time the camera comes to life.
Klaas van Urk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 08:09 AM   #84
Major Player

As a nervous updater, I've read through these posts and copied what seemed like the best instructions (thank you, posters)... but I'd appreciate it if someone would clear up the one part that's not clear to me:

1. unzip file on computer (in my case, a Mac)
2. switch off both computer and camera
3. connect camera to laptop via USB
4. boot laptop, launch UpVersioner, then switch on EX1
5. run updater...
Be aware that the update is in two halves. It will pause around the 50%, a message will come up clearly stating what you should do about *powering the camera down for 10 seconds and then powering it back up and then continuing the firmware update process by clicking a button for the update to continue.
**(note from someone else: when it says to power down that means unplug the power cable, not switch off)

One thing that to be mindful of... towards the end of the second part of the update it appears to hang around 99%. The wait is painful. Patiently wait. It takes a couple of minutes for the update to "wrap up" once it hits the 99% mark. At least it did for me.
A message will come up at the end stating that the update is complete, once successfully done.

O.K., so my question has to do with the items I've put asterisks next to: when the message tells you to power down the camera for 10 seconds and then power it back up, should I do this the way the second poster advises, by unplugging the cable, and NOT by switching the camera off?

Also, am I missing anything else in the rest of this list of instructions?
Thanks,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #85
Inner Circle

The instructions that Damian attached specifically say use the power switch. If someone is countermanding Sony's instructions they should explain WHY. Certainly Sony's instructions can be flawed but one should be responsible enough to explain the alternative in a procedure that could brick the camera.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #86
Trustee

Version up tool, can't install

I'm trying to install the version up tool before i attemp the upgrade.
I keep geting this message

Please run the upgrade toll as a member of the Administrators group.
Push the [OK] button to exit the upgrade tool.

Can anyone advise me.
I'm using a pc with vista intalled.

Thanks.
Paul.
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:21 AM   #87
Major Player

I had the same problem..... this is from my post...

"I went to the UK Sony site, downloaded the EX3 file to my Sony Vaio, using Windows Vista, but when I went to install, I had a error message come up...."Must run install as a member of the administrators group"....so I decided to print out the instructions and there is was...how to fix it. Its very important to follow in the instructions, as it helped me."

Just right click on the .zip file and pick "run as administrator"..I think this is what I did but...if you look at the trouble shooting part on the install instructions, it tells you what to do.

HTH
Old March 10th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #88
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
a procedure that could brick the camera.
Yessir: I'm sticking with the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" motto. My EX3, the SXS cards and the Hoodman cards work fine (I don't need any long overcranking).

I already read in this thread about one guy who has "bricked" his camera. So I think I'll wait until they include cache record and copy all clips on the next upgrade, then I'll have Sony do it.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #89
Major Player

I don't blame you, Charles. I had a little scare myself when upgrading the firmware last night. I turned the camera on and got nothing but the XDCam EX logo for a few seconds then E-15030 appeared. Waited a few minutes...nothing.

So I plugged the darn thing back into the AC power adaptor. It booted up and has been working fine ever since.

Are the upgrades worth possibly bricking your camera? No. I'm glad I did it though as now my SDHC card adaptors work a lot better. It's more than overcranking, they're now less prone to media errors.

But yeah, I'd love me some cache record or at the very least a ALL clips copy function.
Adam Reuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #90
Regular Crew

I updated 2 EX1 and I used the power switch as instruction.
I don't think it's a good idea to unplug the power cord.
Other note: never unplug power cord before turn off the power on/off switch for any equipment.
---------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
The instructions that Damian attached specifically say use the power switch. If someone is countermanding Sony's instructions they should explain WHY. Certainly Sony's instructions can be flawed but one should be responsible enough to explain the alternative in a procedure that could brick the camera.
Tuy Le is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds