XDCAM EX Firmware Updates Available - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 12th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #106
Regular Crew

Strange, i read on sony's pdf that comes with the downloaded file that Mac os x 10.4 is ok. I'll try later with my girlfriend's mac, which is newer.
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #107
Major Player

"Personally I am waiting a month or so before upgrading to see how things shake out."

Olof: I think I'll hang out in the scaredy cat corner with you for awhile. That okay?
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:11 AM   #108
Major Player

I was actually going to do the same thing - had some strong ice tea with a little caffeine buzz so told myself "what the hey" - it was a very smooth process except midway through I read in the instructions about having the battery in the camera even though you powered the camera with DC converter just in case your power went out and there was a storm system approaching so was a bit anxious until everything was done.

Maybe it is my imagination but the camera does seem to boot up more quickly and the red light on an SxS card seems to turn green in less time after recording.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #109
New Boot

Update went OK.

Hi,
I just wanted to post my own experience updating my EX-1 just few minutes ago.

I have been using an Intel iMac with Leopard 10.5.8.
The updater was starting ok.
After connecting the camera and hit ok after the license screen, I got a message that the USB connection got lost. I clicked ok and let it go, as I saw the uploading progression bar going fast toward 100%.It took quickly to reach 100%, then the system reported applying the portion to the camera: it went fast up to 50%, then it asked to reboot the EX1.
I switched off for about 10 seconds, then after I switched on into camera mode again, I got again the error message about the USB connection being lost.
I closed that one and hit ok on the main screen to continue.
The uploading phase went fast again from 0 to 100%.
This time the upgrade to the camera from 50% to 100% took more than before.
But at the end the EX1's red light flashed and the program informed me that the update went ok.

As I have an original 8GB SxS and couple of MxR adapters, I tried those first.
I lost the usual couple of minutes as reported already by others (on both SxS and MxR).
With my surprise I switched to the MxR with the Sandisk Ultra II 16Gb 15MB/s and I was able to shoot 10 minutes of 720p 25fps overcrancked 60p: never happened before.
I remember getting media error immediately and being able only to crank it up to 48fps.
I played back the clip from the camera and didn't get any media error as well.
So for me it was a great update as it looks like I'm now able to slowmo with the Sandisk as well as the SxS.

Cheers,
Armando.
Armando Accardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #110
Regular Crew

Tried again after failing with a G4 Powerbook. Used a Intel Macbook, everithing was fine.
I also had a couple of "USB connection lost" messages and let go.
I had to reboot the camera twice, this is probably because my EX1, that is one of the first ones sold in Italy and that I have just bought used, had never seen a firmware update before.
I have checked, the firmware version is now shown in the menu.
Thanks to all who posted about the update!
Time to buy some cards..

Last edited by Pietro Jona; March 13th, 2010 at 11:23 AM.
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #111
Trustee

Updating the FW on an expensive camera (EX1) is a guaranteed way to raise your pulse rate, but all went well. I used a laptop (Vista) so I had battery backup on both camera and computer.

I thought it only calls for 1 reboot, but it needed 2. SD cards work great now. Does this take care of the battery drain problem too?
Old March 13th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #112
Inner Circle

It won't change the battery drain, that's hardware :-(
Old March 13th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #113
Regular Crew

Upgrade went smooth on my EX-1. Everything working normally. Overcrank won't go longer than 2 1/2 minutes on Transcend SDHC Red Stripe Class 6 32Gb and 16Gb using MxR. I'm guessing Class 10 will be more reliable due to higher throughput capability. Although I get Media Errors I don't have to reformat to clear them. The card continues to function after rebooting the camera.
Steve Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #114
Regular Crew

I was wondering if once the firmware upgraded, is the interval when recording and stopping and recording again shorten? I did read that the red light turns green faster but can you trigger it faster than before.

I have an EX1 and noticed when I switched to MxR adapter, that when you would record and stop and record over, the interval was about 1 second longer than using SxS cards.

Since recording times on cards have been shortened by the new firmware, I was wondering if this would have an incidence.

I never had any problems with recording media other than this with my EX1 and MxR. Never had any media errors or restore, has been extremely reliable, so I would greatly appreciate your feedback on that subject matter before I decide to upgrade.

Thanks

If you want a live view video upgrading the firmware to ex1:

Last edited by Robert St-Onge; March 13th, 2010 at 02:09 PM. Reason: link
Robert St-Onge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #115
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
It won't change the battery drain, that's hardware :-(
Hi Alister,
I take it, then, that the battery drain problem has to be corrected by Sony.
Is this an expensive fix?
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #116
Regular Crew

Is there a way to "back-up" the actual firmware on the camera (ex-3) before proceeding to update with the new one ?? ... Just as with computers .... To have your old nice backup in case something go wrong (as some cases reported...)

kind regards
Old March 14th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #117
Major Player

Lexar Express 8 GB SSD card work in HQ with update

I finally updated my EX3 and EX1 tricky getting the usb plug into the EX3 usb port. I had some cards laying from the early days of testing The Lexar express SSD 8 GB card now works in HQ mode fill whole card twice 1080 24 and 1280 60p no errors cannot over crank with the card. The MSAC-EX1 duo adapter still does not work.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #118
Regular Crew

i am also getting the tool error message when i try to install the up grade on my ex1. anyone have another site i can try to download from?
aloha
tito
Tito Haggardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #119
Major Player

Update ...

The update on the EX3 has solved my sandisk 32gb extreme SDHC card issue of re-formatting!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 02:25 AM   #120
Regular Crew

Tito,

chances are that you have the same problem I had. What computer are you using?
I tried downloading the tool from differents places but in the end it was my laptop which wasn't working well enough (in spite of the requirements that came with the attached pdf).
The same tool opened and worked well in a younger laptop.
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds