DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   XDCAM EX Firmware Updates Available (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/474251-xdcam-ex-firmware-updates-available.html)

Andy Shipsides March 6th, 2010 09:57 AM

XDCAM EX Firmware Updates Available

Looks like the Sony UK site has started posting new firmware updates for the EX1, EX3, PMW350, and EX1R. The good news is that anyone can preform these updates. The EX1 and EX3 require software (for PC & Mac), but the EX1R and EX350 can be upgraded from an SxS Card. A comprehensive PDF is included in each download with upgrade instructions. They have posted some of these upgrades already, but the EX1 software may not be available until Monday. I had some issues using Firefox on their site, but Safari seemed to work.

Visit our blog to learn more - XDCAM EX Firmware Updates Now Available | CineTechnica

And the Sony UK site to start download - Sony : XDCAM EX firmware upgrade : United Kingdom

Andy Wilkinson March 6th, 2010 10:15 AM

Excellent news. Thanks for the update.

Bob Kerner March 6th, 2010 10:35 AM

Andy S: Is the recent firmware update cumulative? In other words, does it incorporate previous updates?

I've not updated my Ex1 since I bought it from you guys over a year ago, in part because I heard horror stories about people doing it themselves and locking up their camera (because it was supposed to be sent back to Sony).

Thanks
Bob

Kevin Spahr March 6th, 2010 10:37 AM

No new features added to the EX1 or EX3 other than the new memory cards and version info in the menu?

William Griffin March 6th, 2010 10:52 AM

OK being in the USA..how does one do this as the UK site says you have to sign up and there is no "USA" listed for countries?

how can we colonials do it?

Andy Shipsides March 6th, 2010 12:36 PM

Bob: This is version 1.20 of the firmware for the EX1, so it should include all updates in previous releases. I would recommend updating because a number of issues were resolved over these different releases.

Kevin: I haven't done the update yet, but it appears that these are the only changes besides adding the firmware version into the "OTHERS" menu.

William: I had the same problem, however the site doesn't seem to care what country you specify.

Paul Cascio March 6th, 2010 12:55 PM

I believe it will be available as of March 8.

Alister Chapman March 6th, 2010 02:01 PM

Looks like the EX1 firmware isn't on the site yet.

Barry J. Anwender March 6th, 2010 02:43 PM

EX-3 Update 1.02 to 1.10

My first try was to use the Mac VersionupTool on Snow Leopard 10.6.2. To make a long story short, nothing happened after launching the Tool -- it did not even launch to the "End User License Agreement".

My second try was to use Parallels and Windows 7 Ultimate. Everything worked as spelt out in the "Installation Instructions." The process was flawless and took the allotted 15 minutes. During the upgrade process, it was nice to see the Red Camera record light on and then it flashes to indicate that it is safe to turn the power off for reboot and then again when the process is finished. I was expecting all the camera settings to be reset to factory default, however, it retained all of my settings - another nice touch.

My EX-3 was at firmware version 1.02 and is now at 1.10. Some quick test shots with my Kensinton ExpressCard and 16GB Sandisk ExtremeIII SDHC cards -- seem to function as before. Went to the next configuration with my Corsair SSD and it also seems to be working as before.

Nice job Sony, it was worth the wait. Cheers!

Andy Shipsides March 6th, 2010 04:13 PM

Barry, thanks for letting us know how it went. I'm glad to hear that third party SDHC adapters are still working too.

Mal Hamilton March 6th, 2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Griffin (Post 1495817)
OK being in the USA..how does one do this as the UK site says you have to sign up and there is no "USA" listed for countries?

how can we colonials do it?

As a fellow colonial 'down under, just put in your olde 'London' address ;-)
I'm sure they won't mind.
Cheers,
Mal

David C. Williams March 6th, 2010 05:19 PM

Bumped mine from 1.030082, worked fine and seems to boot 3 or 4 seconds faster too. My old Kensington adapters still work.

Andrew Stone March 6th, 2010 07:10 PM

Can someone who has done the update tell us if the zoom minimum zoom speed has been altered.

If you like to do "creep-creep" zooms you should hold off until this is confirmed, otherwise your camera will be downgraded in the zoom department.

Barry J. Anwender March 6th, 2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Stone (Post 1495961)
Can someone who has done the update tell us if the zoom minimum zoom speed has been altered.

Andrew, the zoom settings in the menu remained exactly the same. I am still able to obtain a smooth very slow zoom. Cheers!

Barry J. Anwender March 6th, 2010 07:37 PM

VersionUp Bonus

The original 1.02 firmware on my EX3 was only reliable up to 48fps at 720/24p when using SDHC cards.

Exploring more with the new 1.10 firmware reveals that I can now obtain the full 60fps overcrank speed using my Kensington/Sandisk 16GB SDHC cards as well as on my Corsair SSD.