Giving Raw Footage To Client - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 9th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #16
Trustee

I would buy a hard drive and stripe it FAT32 to transfer/deliver the footage, but...... You need to make sure none of your files are larger than 4GB. If they are, they are too big to be saved to the drive. I'm guessing because it's a wedding, there are some loooooong clips, so I'm guessing that at least a couple of them will be over 4GB. For that reason your only option (that I know of) is to format the drive HFS+ (Macintosh only) and then have your client buy Mac Drive so they can import the files.

Are your clients going to edit the footage some day? If not, you could convert them all to WMV files using XDCAM EX Clip Browser. There will be a watermark on them, but that may not create a problem. Because they are WMV files, they will automatically be reduced in size so I doubt any of them will be larger than 4GB. This means you can save them to a FAT32 disk drive.
Old March 9th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #17
Regular Crew

The 4GB file limit is no problem with raw footage as the EX1 does not produce any files larger than 4GB as well. Longer clips are automatically split by the EX1.
Gerald Loidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
The Passport drives are compatible with Mac and PC right out of the box.
That is also what I thought. I told my client to buy a Passport for me to put files on - but I had to format the drive with my Mac and had to use some tool on the drive. The problem was that I didnīt have the permission to write to it. I donīt remember exactly how I did it but finally I could write to the drive.

I have several Passport drives, this was the first to be a little troublesome.
Sverker Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Loidl View Post
The 4GB file limit is no problem with raw footage as the EX1 does not produce any files larger than 4GB as well. Longer clips are automatically split by the EX1.
My mistake. I thought the original poster was wanting to give the client MOV files. MOV files are not split, they are full length clips. So if you give the client the BPAV folder, using the FAT32 drive you should be fine. Good point Gerald.
Old March 9th, 2010, 05:35 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
The technical reasons of how/why the drives do what they do doesn't interest me in the least. My point to the original poster is that you can simply buy the drive and use it with both Macs and PCs without doing ANYTHING special. Plug & Play. All files will be visble. No re-formatting is necessary. The USB bus-powered drives are convenient, cheap, reliable, and very easy to use. That's all I need to know about them.
I was just anwsering your question...
But, indeed, you don't need to know it when the package says it's for Mac and PC.
Old March 9th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #21
Vortex Media

Hi Walter, you're right. I did ask the question.
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:24 AM   #22
Major Player

Just had a client give me a WD Passport Essentials 320gb that does not work on my Macbook Pro (small print on box indicates it needs formatting for Mac OS). Sods law every other drive Passport drive has been fine. How should I format on my Mac to be able to transfer BPAV folders that can be extracted on an Avid PC? Sorry to go over old ground.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #23
Regular Crew

@Bruce - Just select MS-DOS Filesystem (FAT) in the disk utility of your Macbook Pro. Pretty easy!

Last edited by Gerald Loidl; March 10th, 2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:43 AM   #24
Major Player

Thanks Gerald.
Old March 10th, 2010, 06:05 AM   #25
Major Player

Another silly question - where is disc manager? Help cannot help me.
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Bruce: its in Applications ->Utilities ->Disk Utility
In Disk Utility select the disk you want to format - select "erase" - under "format" select "MS-DOS(FAT)" - done!
Old March 10th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #27
Trustee

Gerald meant to say "select the Erase Tab".

Good luck! :)
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #28
Major Player

Thank you all.
Old March 10th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #29
New Boot

If I'm not mistaken, the EX1 and EX3 format the media as FAT 32, hence as Doug mentioned it should present no problems in any system, be it MAC or PS, that can read that file system.
Harro Skapinskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 10:32 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Rather than give them the raw MFX files, why not just throw all the footage into a timeline and export as one large Quicktime file? This is easily done in FCP... not sure about other editors. At least this way they'll be able to play the footage continuously rather than have to sort through each clip with Sony Clip Browser.
Jeff Wallace is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds