Best legs for FSB-8? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 6th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #1
New Boot

Best legs for FSB-8?

I recently got a Sachtler FSB-8 with the standard legs. It was part of an insurance claim, so I didn't perhaps invest as much in researching the legs as much as I should have done.

I like the head, especially the 'Touch & Go' plate, but I'm a bit disappointed with the legs. I use the EX3, often with J21 or Letus and Nikons set-up, and I find that the whole thing feels a bit flimsy, and really doesn't stay on the ground so well.

I always find myself going back to my Miller DS20 - the spread on the legs is good and solid, the head's great, and it packs away really small!

I'd be interested to know what legs people are using with the FSB-8, whether it's worth the upgrade, as I'm thinking I might sell it and stick with the Miller.

Thanks,

Jamie
Jamie Kennerley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Trustee

Sachtler DV8 + Miller Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Kennerley View Post
I'd be interested to know what legs people are using with the FSB-8, whether it's worth the upgrade, as I'm thinking I might sell it and stick with the Miller.
I purchased a secondhand Sachtler DV-8 head which came on legs that I'm sure were made of drinking straws even though it purported to be Sachtler.

However, like you, had come across the Miller Solo legs, mated the two together and have been using the combo ever since (almost four years). From almost flat on the floor to over my head, stiff enough for whip pans (no wind-back), light enough to carry and fly with, but sometimes heart-stoppingly 'will the leg fall out again?' or 'oh help, can't unscrew the lock' when under pressure.

Can understand going for big heavy aluminium legs with the head as it's a bit of a bugger to change height on a busy 'talking heads' day, but OTOH easy to set up a Miller Solo on some stairs or up against a wall, or overhanging something.

As for the head, pure Sachtler.Does the job. Beautifully. When airlines or taxis try to break it, usually the repair costs less than it could if it were a Manfrotto.

Good legs, good head, different, but suits me. But won't suit everyone.
Old March 6th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Kennerley View Post
I recently got a Sachtler FSB-8 with the standard legs.

Jamie, in December I took deliver of the Sachtler FSB-8 with the carbon legs for my EX3. I am very pleased with this tripod--easy setup, stable, light and the head is truly amazing engineering. The carbon legs do add to the total cost, however considering their light weight and ease of setup, they are well worth the investment. Cheers!
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 05:03 AM   #4
New Boot

OK, so the carbon legs are worth a look a. I'll check them out - thanks for your thoughts Barry, Matt.
Jamie Kennerley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm using the Gitzo 78" Carbon legs for 824.95 with my fsb8. They are light and can get very high, or the extra length comes in when on a hill and you need one leg long.

Gitzo | GT3541XLS Systematic 6X Carbon Fiber Tripod | GT3541XLS

There is a 58" version of these for 100.00 less, but hey you never know when you'll need height.

You also need a 75mm bowl adaptor: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/569199-REG/Gitzo_GS5320V75_GS5320V75_75mm_Bowl_Adapter.html
Attached Thumbnails
Best legs for FSB-8?-ex1_rungun01.jpg   Best legs for FSB-8?-ex1_rungun06.jpg  

Last edited by Chad Johnson; March 7th, 2010 at 03:27 PM.
Chad Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #6
Trustee

I also use the Sachtler carbon legs. I like that they are two-stage legs but that there's only one adjuster on each leg (the one adjuster loosens both stages). I'm using it with an EX3 and it's been very stable. Never tried any Miller stuff though.

I think you have a choice with Sachtler leg adjusters. You can either order the Speed Lock adjusters (SL) or the other type which is just a knob you turn an loosen/tighten. I would recommend the Speed Lock. Quick and easy. :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds