need to show client shots: how to connect EX-1 to tv? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 9th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #1
Major Player

need to show client shots: how to connect EX-1 to tv?

Hi there,
Can someone tell me if I need to carry any special cable or adapter or whatnot... I'm shooting something on Friday and my client wants me to connect to an lcd tv and show him the footage.
thanks, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If the TV is no more than a couple of years old there's a good chance it would have an HDMI input, if not it would have a component input, at the very least a composite input. RCA or S.
Hook it up, select the proper input using the menu of the TV get the popcorn and watch away.

This is all assuming of course that the TV is a flat panel, LCD or Plasma and current technology. If it's an older set it may only have RCA or S video input but the process is the same.

HTHs
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:15 AM   #3
Major Player

thanks Dan,
One of those options will work, I'm sure. I appreciate the help.
Malcolm
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #4
Trustee

If it's an LCD TV it most likely has a component in. Use the component cable that came with your EX1 and have an 1/8" to RCA cable for sound coming out of the headphone jack on the EX1. The EX1 doesn't have an HDMI out so you won't be able to use HDMI into the TV. If you've got an EX1-R you could use teh HDMI.

I always carry a BNC to BNC coax cable to hook up to a monitor for the director. If you've got that I'd also get a BNC (female) to RCA (Male) adapter. Almost all TV's still have a composite RCA input.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #5
Major Player

thanks Garrett... I'll add the BNC cable to my kit too.
Malcolm
Old March 20th, 2010, 06:52 AM   #6
Regular Crew

SDI BNC to RCA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
If it's an LCD TV it most likely has a component in. Use the component cable that came with your EX1 and have an 1/8" to RCA cable for sound coming out of the headphone jack on the EX1. The EX1 doesn't have an HDMI out so you won't be able to use HDMI into the TV. If you've got an EX1-R you could use teh HDMI.

I always carry a BNC to BNC coax cable to hook up to a monitor for the director. If you've got that I'd also get a BNC (female) to RCA (Male) adapter. Almost all TV's still have a composite RCA input.

Garrett
Are you saying it is as simple and cheap to use a BNC to RCA adapter or cable to get a signal to a TV? Any notable quality degradation? I thought I was going to have to buy an $500 SDI to HDMI converter to get a pristine image out of my EX-1 to an LCD monitor for clients to see what is coming out of the camera.
TIA, Rob
Rob Lagerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lagerstrom View Post
to get a pristine image out of my EX-1 to an LCD monitor for clients to see what is coming out of the camera.
TIA, Rob
Now you're asking for more. To just get an image to an LCD TV yes. All you need is BNC to RCA taken out of the monitor out (at least on my EX3 not sure of all the outputs for the EX1). I believe you'll get an SD signal out of that. This is how I usually feed the director's monitor. He usually doesn't care about seeing an HD signal. All he's looking for is the framing and how the actors are coming across on the screen.

But to get the best quality out to a TV I'd use the supplied component cable and connect directly into the component in of the TV. That's even cheaper, Sony gives you that cable.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:57 PM   #8
New Boot

How to connect EX-3 to tv - no signal on camera monitor out

I am able to connect a LCD with a antenna in to the ex-3 with coax. Got that done. Don't seem to get any signal from the camera... not sure if the output needs to be on a set for channel on the TV (Tried every thing on it but nothing). Maybe it doesn't work. How to test?

Tried the monitor on an output from a satellite converter, worked fine on Ch 3.
I am stumped as to what to try next.
I'd try composite but I bought the gear used and didn't get the Sony cord. Any ideas there?

Monitor has hdmi vga Y Pb Py CVBS and "TV" bnc connector inputs to choose from.

Or, what will work, could use a laptop or iPad which we have but trying to not buy a real field monitor. Long story why we didn't do that on this first round... but that may be the only solution.

Whatever help anyone can offer will be really welcome since I've got to use this next week with a client.
James Dekle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 01:07 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Re: need to show client shots: how to connect EX-1 to tv?

Assume you want to connect the Sony EX1 to the HDTV with component input (for view HD LIVE or clips).
You need the component cable which came with the Sony EX1 camera. One end of the cable with special connector which plug into component out of the EX1. Other end with 3 cables with male connectors: RED - BLUE - GREEN which you will connect to HDTV component input as: RED cable to Pr / BLUE cable to Pb / GREEN cable to Y (Video) without the need of BNC adapters.
Tuy Le is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds