Is SDI to HDMI simply a matter of cabling? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 10th, 2010, 07:52 AM   #1
Trustee

Is SDI to HDMI simply a matter of cabling?

I was under the impression that the signals are the same except that SDI has more audio channels, but I could be completely misinformed on this.
Old March 10th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #2
Trustee

They are completely different things. The only thing they share is that they are digital (vs. analog). There is no simple (passive) method of converting in either direction.

SDI is unbalanced, serial and uses traditional coaxial connectors and cable (i.e. BNC). SDI is pretty much exclusively a professional standard and is found only on pro and broadcast equipment. Serial digital interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HDMI is a quasi-parallel (4-bits wide) balanced interface (plus some additional sideband things like USB). It was designed for consumer digital video equipment HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #3
Regular Crew

We use the nanoConnect all the time at our facility for converting HDMI to HD-SDI passively.

More info here:

Convergent Design, experts in HDMI, SD, HD, and HDV
Steve Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Trustee

Steve, I'm looking to convert SDI to HDMI. Thanks.
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Trustee

Paul, it isn't a passive operation but if you Google SDI to HDMI converter you'll get several options. Black Magic, AJA, Data Video and Gefen are a few companies that make boxes that do the job.

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
Steve, I'm looking to convert SDI to HDMI. Thanks.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/558911-REG/Blackmagic_Design_CONVMBSH_Mini_Converter_SDI_to.html
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gibbons View Post
We use the nanoConnect all the time at our facility for converting HDMI to HD-SDI passively.

More info here:

Convergent Design, experts in HDMI, SD, HD, and HDV
Steve, "passive" means using something that is not an active electronic circuit that requires power. Like a BNC-RCA connector adapter or cable. Or one of those gadgets with a 100pF capacitor that kinda' converts between Y/C and composite video, etc.

The example you posted is clearly not a "passive" device. it requires power and likely has several times more circuitry in it than the TV you watched as a kid.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Crowley View Post
Steve, "passive" means using something that is not an active electronic circuit that requires power. Like a BNC-RCA connector adapter or cable. Or one of those gadgets with a 100pF capacitor that kinda' converts between Y/C and composite video, etc.

The example you posted is clearly not a "passive" device. it requires power and likely has several times more circuitry in it than the TV you watched as a kid.
Acknowledged - I was thinking more in terms of a real-time solution rather than some sort of transcoding based one.
Steve Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #9
New Boot

SDI to HDMI

Both Geffen and Amazon.com have reliable converters at a very reasonable price.
Hal Protter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I've used three of the Aja units for a couple of years. Work great.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:50 AM   #11
Major Player

I'd second the recommendation to take a hard look at the AJA converter. I use several AJA converters and they're solid.

I have a Nano too...though I never thought about using it as a converter...

I don't have any experience with the Gefen or the BlackMagic units.
Old March 18th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #12
Regular Crew

one caveat - if you are thinking of using it with a Canon 5dm2 / SDI monitor there are issues, as I am only now discovering - ugh. Anyway, see the 5dm2 section if this is the case :)

good luck
Old March 18th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hey Greg, can you go into further detail regarding the 5D Mark II and any HDMI-->HD-SDI converter like blackmagic or aja or nanoconnect? We were thinking of using that DSLR and a converter on a project.

I know the 5D only kicks out what basically is 480p out via HDMI, so it's not full resolution, and there are bars on the side, as if it was 4:3 or so. Not sure about the HDMI output from the 7D and T2i. The output would be used basically for a live internet stream, but we would of course have the actual h.264 MOV files from the compactflash cards.

Thanks,
Allan
Allan Tabilas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds