Marshall V-LCD70XP-3GSDI to EX3 - signal problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 11th, 2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Marshall V-LCD70XP-3GSDI to EX3 - signal problems

Just got the Marshall - hooked it up via SDI out on the Sony, 3GHDSDI "in" on the Marshall. Power up both, set Marshall to SDI - "no signal". I went through the Sony monitor output menu settings, they all seem right - HD, ON, etc. Tried two different brand new SDI cables with bnc connectors, no dice. Hooked it up via the Sony video out/Marshall video in, switch the Marshall from SDI to VIDEO - I get signal (doesn't look great, but it's there).

I've been on the phone with Marshall, they can't figure it out. Has anyone here had any trouble with this? Can someone suggest something blatantly obvious that I missed? I have a habit of searching for my keys when they're already in my hand, so I am prepared for the embarrassment. Even looking forward to it.

Thanks in advance,

Eric
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Problem solved

FYI, anyone else having this problem (and there will be others with this problem), apparently the EX3 has a firewire output - just in case you want to use the HDV workflow (why you would want to do that I do not know).

Problem: By default this firewire port is set to "ON" (active). The signal going to this firewire port is apparently shared between the firewire out, and the HD SDI out. So under the camera's default settings you will get no signal through your HD SDI port.

Solution: Go into your main menu window. Scroll down to the last catagory, select "I.Link I/O, select "Disable", select "Execute"

Your monitor will now get SDI signal.

*perk: your cam will now use less battery as it's not charging the HDV firewire port (says the Sony tech).
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
just in case you want to use the HDV workflow (why you would want to do that I do not know)
Actually, I had occasion to use this when I was asked to fill in with my EX3 on a 3 camera shoot where the other 2 cameras were Canon AH X1s shooting 1080 60i HDV.

So, ya nevah know :)
Old October 24th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #4
Tourist

Re: Marshall V-LCD70XP-3GSDI to EX3 - signal problems

Thanks a million for the post. I was having a heck of time hooking up my EX-3 to a SmallHD OLED monitor. You would think when SDI in "on" it would pass an SDI signal. Leave it to Sony :-)
Dennis Hart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds