SxS Driver Crashing Macbook Pro (Not a repeat from last year) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 12th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

SxS Driver Crashing Macbook Pro (Not a repeat from last year)

I'm aware of the recent SxS driver update (v1.045050) to fix issues with macbook pro's and snow leopard have installed that version on my OSX 10.6.2 system.

Everything was working fine for months, until just recently when my macbook pro (2008 unibody) decided to hard crash at shutdown every time.

Once I uninstall the SxS drivers it shuts down normally. I've tested this repeatedly, trying to re-install the drivers. Each time I install the drivers, crash at shut down. Each time I remove the drivers, smooth shutdown.

So I wracked my brain trying to think about what changed from when my system was stable, until now. I can only come up with the recent ProKit upgrade 5.1, as well as the most recent security updates I've installed.

Is anyone having this issue, or have any advice?
John M Burkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 02:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Ok after a day of tweaking I figured it out. I'm putting the solution here in case anyone else has this issue.

It seems that the problem was with Avid Media Composer Digidesign drivers.

Once I deleted the digidesign folder from /Library/Application Support, I was able to use shutdown normally without going into a kernal panic, and still have the SxS driver installed.

The SxS and Digidesign drivers somehow conflict, and cause this issue at shutdown.

At least this worked for me, I hope it helps. Unfortunately I seem to have to choose between Avid and SxS drivers at this point.
John M Burkhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #3
Major Player

John, thank you for this (to me, also a MacBook Pro/Snow Leopard/Avid person) very important post. Two things:
1. do I need the digidesign folder in my Application Support? Will Avid work fine without it?
2. Avid just released a new plugin (update): 4.0.5.2 I'm hoping this might solve the software conflict problem, but if it doesn't, I'd love to know the answer to 1. above.
Cheers,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Major Player

should have included this:

Avid Editor Patches

(sorry, don't know how to make it a live link)
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds