DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Looking for a pair of SonyHeadPhones for PMW EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/475230-looking-pair-sonyheadphones-pmw-ex1.html)

Pushpanatha de Silva March 20th, 2010 07:09 PM

Looking for a pair of SonyHeadPhones for PMW EX1

Hi

I am looking for a good pair of professional head phones (Sony preferred) for my Sony Video Camera, PMW EX1. What do u think about Sony MDR-V700DJ. I could hear little bit outside noise in that when I wore. I am looking for a pair for which I may not hear any sound/noise created outside. Any ideas/thoughts of finding a good pair. Thx.

Andrew Khalil March 20th, 2010 08:45 PM

I haven't used Sony headphones, but I have a friend who has a pair of the MDR series (forget the exact ones) which is what you're looking for - you don't want DJ headphones, you want "studio" or "monitoring" headphones so if you want Sony, the MDR series is what you're looking for.
Personally, I have the Sennheiser HD202s and I love them - amazing quality, flat sound response and they block out external sounds really well.

Don Bloom March 20th, 2010 09:20 PM

I've been using these (same pair) since 2001 (I used another brand prior) and for less than $100 they are great cans. Just about everyone I know uses these. Sony MDR-7506 Circumaural Closed-Back Professional Monitor Headphone

Here's the link.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/49510-REG/Sony_MDR_7506_MDR_7506_Headphone.html

Shaughan Flynn March 20th, 2010 10:11 PM

The MDR7506 are great - We have 2 pair and use them all the time.

Robert Turchick March 20th, 2010 10:42 PM

21 years in the biz and only one pair of headphones....7506. (ok I'm on my 3rd pair but they are the only ones that I will ever buy!)

James Hooey March 21st, 2010 12:06 AM

MDR-7506 - industry standard for years....

Pushpanatha de Silva March 21st, 2010 06:20 AM

Thx everyone of their INPUT to my query. Ur help is much appreciated. Probably I will go for Sony MDR7506 and will compare the specs with Sennheiser HD202s also. Thx vm. Pushpa

Paul Cascio March 21st, 2010 06:33 AM

Wow, a consenus. Never saw that before on this forum. Actually, never saw it on any forum. :)

Piotr Wozniacki March 21st, 2010 07:03 AM

Also Sennheiser HD 25-1 mk II is worth considering.

Martin Mayer March 21st, 2010 07:33 AM

It's funny how everybody thinks their own favourite is the "industry standard"! Maybe it's a European/US thing?

I'm going with Piotr here: Sennheiser HD25-1 MkII - always spotted on BBC outside broadcast cameramen or indeed, separate sound recordists.

Short steel cord (for strength and lack of tangling, compared to long copper cord)
Right-angle 3.5mm plug (reduce strain on camera socket)
Closed cup and tight headband (minimise outside sounds)
Swivelable earpieces (to keep one ear open if wanted)
Sensitive (maximise volume from camera's headphone socket)
Easily obtainable and replaceable spare parts
Porous replaceable earpiece covers and dual padded headband (comfort in heat or cold)

Oh! And wide frequency response!

Paul Cronin March 21st, 2010 08:42 AM

I have used the 7506 and they are great. But I went for the Sony MDR-7509HD and have not been disappointed at all. Use them in the field and in the studio and you do not miss a pop.
Sony MDR-7509HD

Andrew Stone March 21st, 2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 1502922)
Also Sennheiser HD 25-1 mk II is worth considering.

I use the 7506s, however, as Piotr has stated the Sennheiser HD-25 mkIIs are also used a lot by camera ops, particularly in Europe.

The Sony's are great, the sound is natural and detailed, the isolation is perfect for it's use as a monitoring phone in almost any environment, they close down into a small footprint taking up less space than normal in a camera bag but and this a BIG but... the headphone pads come off very easily and are a struggle to put back on. I have been in the middle of shoots where a pad has come off and I have had to just chuck it aside so the shooting doesn't get fouled up.

I am curious about the Sennheiser's are there any negatives to the phones? I know that one capsule swings up for 1 eared listening which is a nice touch. Are the pads securely on the units? How is the isolation and the sound compared to the Sony 7506s?

Joe Carney March 21st, 2010 06:53 PM

I've been using my 7506s for over 5 years, and the pads have never come off. Strange. These are best bang for buck in headphones I've ever had.

Robert Turchick March 21st, 2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Mayer (Post 1502930)
It's funny how everybody thinks their own favourite is the "industry standard"! Maybe it's a European/US thing?

Maybe...funny is before getting lured to the video side, I was an audio engineer and still do a lot of studio work...the industry standard in the recording world is the AKG-240 and it's predecessor the 141. I always hated those. Since I also did a fair amount of performing in studios I tried all the headphones I could get my hands on and the 7506's stuck. So my decision came from a different place but they perform perfectly in both worlds for me!

Paul Cronin March 21st, 2010 07:55 PM

Robert have you tried the MDR-7509HD a bit more money but a more accurate sound. Moved up from the 7506 when the 7509HD came out. Check them out side by side you will hear the price difference.