Looking for a pair of SonyHeadPhones for PMW EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 20th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Looking for a pair of SonyHeadPhones for PMW EX1

Hi

I am looking for a good pair of professional head phones (Sony preferred) for my Sony Video Camera, PMW EX1. What do u think about Sony MDR-V700DJ. I could hear little bit outside noise in that when I wore. I am looking for a pair for which I may not hear any sound/noise created outside. Any ideas/thoughts of finding a good pair. Thx.
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #2
Major Player

I haven't used Sony headphones, but I have a friend who has a pair of the MDR series (forget the exact ones) which is what you're looking for - you don't want DJ headphones, you want "studio" or "monitoring" headphones so if you want Sony, the MDR series is what you're looking for.
Personally, I have the Sennheiser HD202s and I love them - amazing quality, flat sound response and they block out external sounds really well.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I've been using these (same pair) since 2001 (I used another brand prior) and for less than $100 they are great cans. Just about everyone I know uses these. Sony MDR-7506 Circumaural Closed-Back Professional Monitor Headphone

Here's the link.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/49510-REG/Sony_MDR_7506_MDR_7506_Headphone.html
Old March 20th, 2010, 10:11 PM   #4
Major Player

The MDR7506 are great - We have 2 pair and use them all the time.
Old March 20th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Trustee

21 years in the biz and only one pair of headphones....7506. (ok I'm on my 3rd pair but they are the only ones that I will ever buy!)
Old March 21st, 2010, 12:06 AM   #6
Major Player

MDR-7506 - industry standard for years....
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 06:20 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thx everyone of their INPUT to my query. Ur help is much appreciated. Probably I will go for Sony MDR7506 and will compare the specs with Sennheiser HD202s also. Thx vm. Pushpa
Old March 21st, 2010, 06:33 AM   #8
Trustee

Wow, a consenus. Never saw that before on this forum. Actually, never saw it on any forum. :)
Old March 21st, 2010, 07:03 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Also Sennheiser HD 25-1 mk II is worth considering.
Old March 21st, 2010, 07:33 AM   #10
Major Player

It's funny how everybody thinks their own favourite is the "industry standard"! Maybe it's a European/US thing?

I'm going with Piotr here: Sennheiser HD25-1 MkII - always spotted on BBC outside broadcast cameramen or indeed, separate sound recordists.

Short steel cord (for strength and lack of tangling, compared to long copper cord)
Right-angle 3.5mm plug (reduce strain on camera socket)
Closed cup and tight headband (minimise outside sounds)
Swivelable earpieces (to keep one ear open if wanted)
Sensitive (maximise volume from camera's headphone socket)
Easily obtainable and replaceable spare parts
Porous replaceable earpiece covers and dual padded headband (comfort in heat or cold)

Oh! And wide frequency response!
Old March 21st, 2010, 08:42 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I have used the 7506 and they are great. But I went for the Sony MDR-7509HD and have not been disappointed at all. Use them in the field and in the studio and you do not miss a pop.
Sony MDR-7509HD
Old March 21st, 2010, 10:51 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Also Sennheiser HD 25-1 mk II is worth considering.
I use the 7506s, however, as Piotr has stated the Sennheiser HD-25 mkIIs are also used a lot by camera ops, particularly in Europe.

The Sony's are great, the sound is natural and detailed, the isolation is perfect for it's use as a monitoring phone in almost any environment, they close down into a small footprint taking up less space than normal in a camera bag but and this a BIG but... the headphone pads come off very easily and are a struggle to put back on. I have been in the middle of shoots where a pad has come off and I have had to just chuck it aside so the shooting doesn't get fouled up.

I am curious about the Sennheiser's are there any negatives to the phones? I know that one capsule swings up for 1 eared listening which is a nice touch. Are the pads securely on the units? How is the isolation and the sound compared to the Sony 7506s?
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 06:53 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I've been using my 7506s for over 5 years, and the pads have never come off. Strange. These are best bang for buck in headphones I've ever had.
Old March 21st, 2010, 07:45 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mayer View Post
It's funny how everybody thinks their own favourite is the "industry standard"! Maybe it's a European/US thing?
Maybe...funny is before getting lured to the video side, I was an audio engineer and still do a lot of studio work...the industry standard in the recording world is the AKG-240 and it's predecessor the 141. I always hated those. Since I also did a fair amount of performing in studios I tried all the headphones I could get my hands on and the 7506's stuck. So my decision came from a different place but they perform perfectly in both worlds for me!
Old March 21st, 2010, 07:55 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Robert have you tried the MDR-7509HD a bit more money but a more accurate sound. Moved up from the 7506 when the 7509HD came out. Check them out side by side you will hear the price difference.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds