Matching an EX1 w/a 1/3 chip cam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Matching an EX1 w/a 1/3 chip cam

I just ordered an Ex1r from B&H and it arrives next week -- can't wait!

Does anyone have experience with trying to match an Ex1 with a 1/3 chip cam like the Z7u, FX1000 or Z5u?

I currently own a Sony FX1000 (which is the same quality as the Z5u) and wondering how the two cameras will match on multi-cam shoots under optimal lighting conditions. I know the FX1000 will choke in low light next to the Ex1, but hoping there won't be a drastic difference in situations with ample light.

Will this be like trying to match a Sony 300 with a PD150 back in the old days?
Jeff Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Matching an EX1 w/a 1/3 chip cam

Well 12mths on - this might prove useful to somebody
I have invested about 6 hours staring down side-by-side calibrating EX1R and Z5P cameras and have arrived at point where I very happy with the two cameras closely matching on colour. Even with the Z5P running -6dB it's still more noise than 1/2" @ -3dB but that is to be expected and I was looking closely @42" screens.

My testing was hardly scientific - both cameras 1080i mode, component analogue HD into two 42" Sony Bravias. Both displays to neutral with sharpness down - I reversed the cables mid-test a couple of times to be sure the subtle differences I observed weren't the monitors - to my surprise the subtle differences were reflected afterwards so the display were pretty consistent for consumer items.

Baseline was the EX1R set-up based on the BBC profile with some very slight changes from Alister Chapman profile suggestions, I just grabbed colourful items within reach and aspects resembling skin tone - phone snap:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5029/...db34837381.jpg
IMAG0073 by cudex, on Flickr

and subsequently spent an inordinate amount of time trying to match the green-screen in background - I figured it represented foliage and grass for outdoor shoots so persevered with it. I finally nailed it but only after doubling up a correction on green phase on Z5P.

anyways long story short the cams at work and will take time noting down all the settings - but as far colormetrics concerned they can be set identical.

profiles in the picture profile thread

Last edited by Mark Joseph; March 31st, 2011 at 12:00 AM.
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds