DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   SDHC Class 6 & 10 slow transfer using Clip Browser (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/475508-sdhc-class-6-10-slow-transfer-using-clip-browser.html)

Juan McFarland March 24th, 2010 02:13 PM

SDHC Class 6 & 10 slow transfer using Clip Browser

When moving large clips, 14 gigs in size, off of the SDHC cards using MxR adapter inserted into EX1 w/Clip Browser 2.6 on a PC things come to a crawl. It would take over an hour to copy one 16 gig clip.
When moving the same file off of a SxS card with the same workflow and the same file it takes 20 mins.

I'm using Transcend Class 10 (16 gig) & Class 6 (16 gig the old (good) green stripe one) and both are really slow.

The Class 6 used to be fine, so I bought the Class 10 thinking that the card is the problem but I'm getting the same result.

When copying the files IN CAMERA from SDHC (w/MxR) to SXS it takes 20mins which seems about right to me.

Any ideas?

Brooks Graham March 24th, 2010 03:45 PM

Are you plugged into a USB1.1 port or via a USB1.1 hub?

That could explain those throughput numbers.

[stab in the dark]

Juan McFarland March 24th, 2010 03:54 PM

Thanks, but I'm def using 2.0, no hub.

Michael B. McGee March 25th, 2010 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan McFarland (Post 1504799)
When moving large clips, 14 gigs in size, off of the SDHC cards using MxR adapter inserted into EX1 w/Clip Browser 2.6 on a PC things come to a crawl. It would take over an hour to copy one 16 gig clip.

i'm a little confused. are you using the camera to transfer footage to your PC? are you using the CRC setting in CB? if so, that really extends transfer times. whether using a SDHC/M&R/Hoodman combo in my expresscard slot on my MBP or a SDHC card with an USB reader i usually get around 40 minutes in transfer time with a full 16GB card with CRC turned on and about 16 minutes with it turned off. if you're getting results that take over an hour perhaps you have a slower processor or HDD(5400 rpm???) then mine.

Juan McFarland March 25th, 2010 03:05 AM

THANKS MICHAEL!
That solved it! I can stop pulling out my hair now!

I don't know how I missed that "CRC" setting as I went to that window earlier to double check "Processing Speed" in favor of "Data Protection" .

A week ago I turned on the CRC late one night, messing aroud with bleary eyes, and forgot that I did that.

Michael gets the EX1useroftheday award, in my book anyway, thank you again!

Fyi, yes I'm using the camera to xfer the footage, going into a HP quad core 2.4Ghz w/esata 1TB ext drive.

Michael B. McGee March 25th, 2010 11:57 AM

you're very welcome. what goes around, comes around. that's what this forum is all about. even with the CRC feature turned on, it seems odd to me that your transfer times are taking longer then an hour with 14GB worth of files. especially, if you consider the speed of your processor.

Derek Reich March 28th, 2010 11:35 AM

Juan
Even though it takes much longer (although an hour for 14GB seems excessive) I don't recommend ever transferring WITHOUT CRC turned on. No matter what cards you are using.... CRC is a critical safety net for insuring that your files are transferred with 100% accuracy. I have noticed my class 6 Transcend take about twice as long as my SxS to transfer, but I do not forsake the data protection for speed. I don't know anyone who would risk this with a paying client.
Your 1 hour transfer is odd.... perhaps there is something else going on there, but all the more reason to make sure you take advantage of all the protection features available!

Juan McFarland April 8th, 2010 04:11 AM

Good points Derek! I agree! Just need more time to investigate what is going on.

Ed Kukla April 8th, 2010 07:36 AM

Juan

Did you power down the computer and boot up and try a second time?

Occasionally I will have a download that would take many hours if I let it continue or just not go anywhere at all. I reboot everything and the system runs normal. This is with a MBP.

Juan McFarland April 8th, 2010 03:51 PM

Thanks Ed, next time I have time to trouble shoot the problem I'll give that a try!