DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Quick test with new Schneider Optics Platinum IR 1/2 stop filter on the PMW-EX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/475520-quick-test-new-schneider-optics-platinum-ir-1-2-stop-filter-pmw-ex1.html)

Brent Ethington March 24th, 2010 05:10 PM

Quick test with new Schneider Optics Platinum IR 1/2 stop filter on the PMW-EX1

6 Attachment(s)
I recently received my Schneider Optics Platinum IR 1/2 filter and did a quick test to compare it against the B+W 486 and Tiffen T1 filters that I had purchased to try to address the IR "contamination" resulting in the red tinge to PMW-EX1 footage. There's nothing new here to report that others haven't already done so with the other filters, but I thought it would be informative to share some images I took with each of the filters on the camera for the same setup for comparison.

The lighting used was a Halogen flood that the PMW-EX1 white balanced to 3000k native with no filters. The socks and pack are black (though the pack has a mix of material as evident in the images).

The attached still images were pulled from footage with Clip Browser. The PMW-EX1 was manually re-white balanced for each shot, 0db gain was used for all, and the Zoom position was 23 (more wide than tele).

The 6 still images are: (the initial numbers used for the file names are only for numbering purposes and have no other meaning)
- 08 No filter (native) at f5.6 (PMW-EX1 reported 3000k WB)
- 09 B+W 486 filter at f5.6 (PMW-EX1 reported 3000k WB)
- 11 Tiffen T1 filter at f5.6 (PMW-EX1 reported 3100k WB)
- 12 Tiffen T1 filter at f4.8 (PMW-EX1 reported 3100k WB)
- 14 Schneider Optics Platinum IR 1/2 stop filter at f5.6 (PMW-EX1 reported 3200k WB)
- 15 Schneider Optics Platinum IR 1/2 stop filter at f4.8 (PMW-EX1 reported 3200k WB)

My thoughts:
- the IR issue is very clear in the native PMW-EX1 image with no filter
- the B+W 486 shows no light loss, but does seem to have a color cast towards the edges
- the T1 shows a stop of light loss, has a blue color cast throughout the image, but does seem to show the blackest blacks
- the Platinum IR shows about a 1/2 stop loss, seems to show the truest color throughout the image, but the black still seems to show a subtle tinge of red to me. Overall, it does seem to provide the 'best' solution without having to readjust the color in post (like the T1).

Anyone else had a chance the try the Schneider Platinum?

Steve Browne March 24th, 2010 08:43 PM

Thanks Brent

Any chance of posting some images that show skin tones / faces

Brent Ethington March 24th, 2010 10:21 PM

Steve - I don't have anything other than what I posted (so far). If I do come up with some good additional images, I'll be happy to post - though, others will probably beat me to it...

Robert Bale March 24th, 2010 10:55 PM

the B+W 486

My vote is still the B+W 486 I have never taken it off my EX3, once it went on. Works well for me. Why change.

Garrett Low March 24th, 2010 11:39 PM

The Platinum IR still seems to have a lot of red in the black. At least that's what it looks like to me from your posts.

Garrett

Michael B. McGee March 25th, 2010 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Low (Post 1505062)
The Platinum IR still seems to still have a lot of red in the black. At least that's what it looks like to me from your posts.

Garrett

I would have to agree with you.

Tom Hardwick March 25th, 2010 02:55 AM

I still don't get why this filtration isn't being done by Sony internally. Light loss? Is the EX1-R any better in this respect?

Garrett Low March 25th, 2010 10:41 AM

I have not had a chance to test it myself but from my understanding Sony did address this issue in the EX1R.

Garrett

Annen James March 25th, 2010 11:44 AM

Still love my 486!

Garrett Low March 25th, 2010 11:58 AM

I agree with Robert and Annen. I use the 486 and am very happy with it.

Garrett

Ryan Avery April 29th, 2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 1505093)
I still don't get why this filtration isn't being done by Sony internally. Light loss? Is the EX1-R any better in this respect?

Sony had to make the call between better color saturation and filtering out some far-red light. They chose to make the IR cut at the sensor less so they could get more "punchy" red colors and general saturation for the off chance that people would shoot with certain tungsten/sunlight light sources and certain black fabrics. This is why some users complain about the issue and others never notice it. I can't really blame them since the Sony EX probably wouldn't sell that well with flat color reproduction.

To my knowledge and testing, the EX1R still has the far-red/IR contamination issue.

At the end of the day, we offer the Platinum 1/2 Stop IR for folks who want a non-reflective filter with no chance of off-axis color vignetting that the 486 might cause if you use full wide angle on the Sony EX cameras. We also continue to offer the 486 for folks who want to avoid the color balance that must be done to compensate for the blue/green cast of the Platinum 1/2 Stop IR.

The new Schneider Platinum Series IRND filters are truly neutral gray and the best of both worlds. So if you need ND and IR filtration, these new filters are non-reflective, have no off axis color shift, and are truly neutral gray like a regular ND so they are really the magic bullet for this camera.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Jeff Anselmo April 29th, 2010 11:58 AM

Hi Ryan,

With the new Schneider Platinum Series IRND filters, do you suggest leaving the filter on most of the time?

Best,

Charles Newcomb April 29th, 2010 12:06 PM

Also, can it be piggybacked with a thin UV filter w/o vignetting?

Dean Harrington April 29th, 2010 05:56 PM

tiffen T1 IR filter ...

I've had very good response using the tiffen T1 IR filter in conjunction with 1/2 blue warm card as white balance. But you do lose 1 full stop.

Ryan Avery May 3rd, 2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo (Post 1521177)
Hi Ryan,

With the new Schneider Platinum Series IRND filters, do you suggest leaving the filter on most of the time?

Best,

You could leave it on full time if you don't mind the light loss. The lightest density of the Platinum Series IRND filters is ND.3 or 1 stop.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics