Quick test with new Schneider Optics Platinum IR 1/2 stop filter on the PMW-EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 24th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Quick test with new Schneider Optics Platinum IR 1/2 stop filter on the PMW-EX1

I recently received my Schneider Optics Platinum IR 1/2 filter and did a quick test to compare it against the B+W 486 and Tiffen T1 filters that I had purchased to try to address the IR "contamination" resulting in the red tinge to PMW-EX1 footage. There's nothing new here to report that others haven't already done so with the other filters, but I thought it would be informative to share some images I took with each of the filters on the camera for the same setup for comparison.

The lighting used was a Halogen flood that the PMW-EX1 white balanced to 3000k native with no filters. The socks and pack are black (though the pack has a mix of material as evident in the images).

The attached still images were pulled from footage with Clip Browser. The PMW-EX1 was manually re-white balanced for each shot, 0db gain was used for all, and the Zoom position was 23 (more wide than tele).

The 6 still images are: (the initial numbers used for the file names are only for numbering purposes and have no other meaning)
- 08 No filter (native) at f5.6 (PMW-EX1 reported 3000k WB)
- 09 B+W 486 filter at f5.6 (PMW-EX1 reported 3000k WB)
- 11 Tiffen T1 filter at f5.6 (PMW-EX1 reported 3100k WB)
- 12 Tiffen T1 filter at f4.8 (PMW-EX1 reported 3100k WB)
- 14 Schneider Optics Platinum IR 1/2 stop filter at f5.6 (PMW-EX1 reported 3200k WB)
- 15 Schneider Optics Platinum IR 1/2 stop filter at f4.8 (PMW-EX1 reported 3200k WB)

My thoughts:
- the IR issue is very clear in the native PMW-EX1 image with no filter
- the B+W 486 shows no light loss, but does seem to have a color cast towards the edges
- the T1 shows a stop of light loss, has a blue color cast throughout the image, but does seem to show the blackest blacks
- the Platinum IR shows about a 1/2 stop loss, seems to show the truest color throughout the image, but the black still seems to show a subtle tinge of red to me. Overall, it does seem to provide the 'best' solution without having to readjust the color in post (like the T1).

Anyone else had a chance the try the Schneider Platinum?
Attached Thumbnails
Quick test with new Schneider Optics Platinum IR 1/2 stop filter on the PMW-EX1-08-pmw-ex1-no-filter-3000k-f5_6.jpg   Quick test with new Schneider Optics Platinum IR 1/2 stop filter on the PMW-EX1-09-pmw-ex1-bw486-3000k-f5_6.jpg  

Quick test with new Schneider Optics Platinum IR 1/2 stop filter on the PMW-EX1-11-pmw-ex1-t1-3100k-f5_6.jpg   Quick test with new Schneider Optics Platinum IR 1/2 stop filter on the PMW-EX1-12-pmw-ex1-t1-3100k-f4_8.jpg  

Quick test with new Schneider Optics Platinum IR 1/2 stop filter on the PMW-EX1-14-pmw-ex1-platinum-3200k-f5_6.jpg   Quick test with new Schneider Optics Platinum IR 1/2 stop filter on the PMW-EX1-15-pmw-ex1-platinum-3200k-f4_8.jpg  

Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #2
New Boot

Thanks Brent

Any chance of posting some images that show skin tones / faces
Steve Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Steve - I don't have anything other than what I posted (so far). If I do come up with some good additional images, I'll be happy to post - though, others will probably beat me to it...
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 10:55 PM   #4
Major Player

the B+W 486

My vote is still the B+W 486 I have never taken it off my EX3, once it went on. Works well for me. Why change.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 11:39 PM   #5
Trustee

The Platinum IR still seems to have a lot of red in the black. At least that's what it looks like to me from your posts.

Garrett

Last edited by Garrett Low; March 25th, 2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: deleted one "still"
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
The Platinum IR still seems to still have a lot of red in the black. At least that's what it looks like to me from your posts.

Garrett
I would have to agree with you.
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 02:55 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I still don't get why this filtration isn't being done by Sony internally. Light loss? Is the EX1-R any better in this respect?
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #8
Trustee

I have not had a chance to test it myself but from my understanding Sony did address this issue in the EX1R.

Garrett
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Still love my 486!
Annen James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #10
Trustee

I agree with Robert and Annen. I use the 486 and am very happy with it.

Garrett
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #11
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
I still don't get why this filtration isn't being done by Sony internally. Light loss? Is the EX1-R any better in this respect?
Sony had to make the call between better color saturation and filtering out some far-red light. They chose to make the IR cut at the sensor less so they could get more "punchy" red colors and general saturation for the off chance that people would shoot with certain tungsten/sunlight light sources and certain black fabrics. This is why some users complain about the issue and others never notice it. I can't really blame them since the Sony EX probably wouldn't sell that well with flat color reproduction.

To my knowledge and testing, the EX1R still has the far-red/IR contamination issue.

At the end of the day, we offer the Platinum 1/2 Stop IR for folks who want a non-reflective filter with no chance of off-axis color vignetting that the 486 might cause if you use full wide angle on the Sony EX cameras. We also continue to offer the 486 for folks who want to avoid the color balance that must be done to compensate for the blue/green cast of the Platinum 1/2 Stop IR.

The new Schneider Platinum Series IRND filters are truly neutral gray and the best of both worlds. So if you need ND and IR filtration, these new filters are non-reflective, have no off axis color shift, and are truly neutral gray like a regular ND so they are really the magic bullet for this camera.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #12
Major Player

Hi Ryan,

With the new Schneider Platinum Series IRND filters, do you suggest leaving the filter on most of the time?

Best,
Old April 29th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #13
Major Player

Also, can it be piggybacked with a thin UV filter w/o vignetting?
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #14
Major Player

tiffen T1 IR filter ...

I've had very good response using the tiffen T1 IR filter in conjunction with 1/2 blue warm card as white balance. But you do lose 1 full stop.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:14 PM   #15
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Anselmo View Post
Hi Ryan,

With the new Schneider Platinum Series IRND filters, do you suggest leaving the filter on most of the time?

Best,
You could leave it on full time if you don't mind the light loss. The lightest density of the Platinum Series IRND filters is ND.3 or 1 stop.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds