Sony EX3 + Red Rock M2e + Carl Zeiss = music video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 25th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony EX3 + Red Rock M2e + Carl Zeiss = music video

Here is a music video I just completed for the Canadian Band "Stringer Lake".

This was shot in 1 day in northern Ontario in March 2010.

Enjoy.....

YouTube - Stringer Lake; Something's Off Today
Brent Hallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 10:14 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Nice video

I also have the ex3 with M2e. Have you used yours with Nikon lenses? If so, how does it compare with the Zeiss? Is it worth it? Sorry for all the questions but I've thought about investing into some Zeiss primes but wasn't sure. Do you ever have a problem getting edge to edge focus with your rig, It never seems to be perfect for me and I've had it now for over a year.

Thanks,
Brian
Brian Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2010, 09:33 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Brian,

I have only used Zeiss lenses (I bought the full Zeiss RR bundle), so I do not know about Nikkon lenses other than I have the Nikkon mount. I am thinking about getting a wide angle Nikkon lens though.

I did a lot of reading before I bought the set and came to the conclussion that Zeiss seemed like the best glass.

This video was my first real use of the whole setup... and I did not have any trouble with focus or anything like that. My only problem was that I had to change the batteries for the GG 3/4's of the way through the shoot.

Also, make sure you are zoomed to Z77 with the EX3.
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:05 AM   #4
Trustee

Don't buy a Nikon wide angle lens for the EX3, the results will disappoint. Lenses with a longer focal length of 85mm work the best. Using a Nikon lens designed for stills photography will have a magnification factor of X5 so fitting a 20mm Nikkor will in effect make it a 100mm lens.

Optically, wide angle lenses do not perform that well on the EX3 _ I know I have tried them all from 16mm through to 55mm. Although having said that, the 55mm Micro Nikkor is very good for close up work.
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Vincent, are you talking about attaching the wide angle lens directly to the camera?

I want to put the lens on my Redrock M2e so I don't see that as a factor on the EX3 (as the EX3 is recording the image from the ground glass).

Anyone have any experience/recomendations for a wide angle lens for the Redrock 35mm adapter?

Thanks,

Brent
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:00 PM   #6
Trustee

Yes, Brent I was thinking that you would attach the Nikon lens directly to the camera via an Nikon to EX3 adaptor. I am not familiar with the RedRock, so ignore everything I said, the Nikon wide angle lenses should work fine. Oooops!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Has anyone had experience with the Fujinon XS8X4AS-XB8 8x for Sony PMW-EX3? (wide angle lens that fits on to the body of the ex3).

Any thoughts?

Fujinon | XS8X4AS-XB8 8x for Sony PMW-EX3 | XS8X4AS-XB8 | B&H
Brent Hallman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds