Zebra setting puzzle - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 29th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #16
Major Player

As Piotr said, the menu is confusing. When go into the menu, zebras, you can "Zebra Select: 2", and below that you have "Zebra Level: 70". Now you can click "70" and change that value. My error was in assuming that this referred to Z2, since that was what I'd selected. So once one knows that the value refers only to Z1, then no problem. By any simple interpretation Z2 can be adjusted (no matter what the manual says). Just bad menu labelling.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:32 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Alister's explanation:

XDCAM-USER.com Setting BOTH zebras on an XDCAM EX, very confusing!

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Greening View Post
I hate to say it, but I don't think Alister is correct on this one. Like Piotr mentioned earlier, ONLY Zebra 1 can be adjusted, hence "Zebra1 Level" in the Zebra Menu.
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 02:00 AM   #19
Major Player

Dear oh dear. I hate to say that communication is often surprisingly difficult. I suggest you read my words a little more carefully. Or maybe I should test Alistair's method before saying that!
Old March 30th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #20
Major Player

Just tested Allister's method on my EX1R, firmware 1.0, connected to monitor and waveform.

Any change in any order changes the setting for Zebra 1. Zebra 2 stays set to 100 IRE (98 IRE to be precise) regardless of any changes to the Zebra 2 setting.

I no longer have an EX1 to test.
George Strother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 04:54 AM   #21
Major Player

I guess I don't read carefully either. Mr McGee wasn't supporting Alister's method, but agreeing that only Z1 can be adjusted. My checks confirm that, yet again.
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #22
Trustee

It was stated previously that the Z1-stripes will appear when the exposure is +/- 10% of the set value? Can someone confirm this? Also, does that apply to Z2, meaning the stripes will appear at 90%?
Old April 11th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Z2 appears at 100% and above, based on using the "spot metering" function.

The EX1 manual says Z1 appears in a range of +-10% of the set level. I have found this is not exactly true.

I don't often have people as the main subject, so skin tone is secondary to overall exposure. I set Z1 at 95 and get zebras from 90% to 100%. Then Z2 kicks in.

If I set Z1 at a lower value, say 75%, I get zebras from ABOUT 65% to 85%.

Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
It was stated previously that the Z1-stripes will appear when the exposure is +/- 10% of the set value? Can someone confirm this? Also, does that apply to Z2, meaning the stripes will appear at 90%?
That's what it says in the manual, but in actuality it's +/- 5% and Z1 shows up to 109%. The range doesn't change for lower values either as suggested in the previous post.

That's a negative on Z2. It will only show 100 - 109%.

Last edited by Omar Idris; April 12th, 2010 at 11:52 AM. Reason: typed 99% Iinstead of 109%
Omar Idris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Omar, you didn't read my post correctly. I said it varied. On MY camera, I get a 10% (+-5) range if Z1 is set at 95 and a +- 10 range if Z1 is set at 75. That's why I said the manual is not accurate.

Pete
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Hi Pete
I didn't misread it, that's why I said It doesn't vary.
I can't comment on what you get on your camera, but a range of 20% (65 - 85), is a bit steep when you're trying to get around 75%. Maybe if you checked again you'd find different results. Although all cameras are individual, I doubt it's to that extent unless it's a flaw in either your camera or mine.
In my case it's always +/- 5% from 50 - 104% with the ceiling at 109% regardless.
Omar Idris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Idris View Post
Hi Pete
I didn't misread it, that's why I said It doesn't vary.
I can't comment on what you get on your camera, but a range of 20% (65 - 85), is a bit steep when you're trying to get around 75%. Maybe if you checked again you'd find different results. Although all cameras are individual, I doubt it's to that extent unless it's a flaw in either your camera or mine.
In my case it's always +/- 5% from 50 - 104% with the ceiling at 109% regardless.

WTF? you two are confusing the %$#& out of us/me.
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #28
Regular Crew

The EX1 manual states that Z1 zebras are shown at levels that are plus or minus 10% of the set value. If the manual is correct, then setting the level at 70 would show zebras in all areas of the image with exposure levels from 60% to 80%.

What I have found with MY camera is not quite the same. If I set Z1 at 95%, then I see zebras at anything above 90% - plus or minus 5% of the set value. (Measured with the indicator in the middle of the screen. Off the top of my head I can't remember the name of the display setting and I don't have my camera with me.)

However, if I set Z1 at 75, I see zebras at levels from 65% to 85%, just like the manual says.

So the manual is right some of the time and wrong some of the time, at least in regards to the functioning of MY camera.

Thinking out loud, I wonder if gamma settings affect the zebra display. I usually use Cine 1 which really hammers on highlights. Maybe that's why my camera shows zebras in a 10% range in the top end. I don't know.

The short answer is to use the exposure level function to check your camera. What's the percentage exposure level in areas showing Z1 zebras? Then you'll know what the zebras are showing you.

Pete
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Peters View Post

What I have found with MY camera is not quite the same. If I set Z1 at 95%, then I see zebras at anything above 90% - plus or minus 5% of the set value.

Pete

yeah, and the Focal Plane marked on the side of the camera can be off by 10 inches to more than 18" depending where your focus is set at. No matter how many times you calibrate Back Focus you're measurements will be off.

Sony has proven to us that no one is perfect. thanks a lot for the reminder Sony!!!!!!
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds