DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Zebra setting puzzle (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/475659-zebra-setting-puzzle.html)

Serena Steuart March 26th, 2010 04:17 PM

Zebra setting puzzle

The default setting for the zebras is 70% (Z1) and 100% (Z2). Normally I don't have both zebras showing, but had occasion to want Z1 at 60% and Z2 at 100. Obviously at some time I've adjusted Z2 to less than 100. Now when I set Z1 to a value, I find that Z2 adopts the same value (and vice-versa). Set Z1 to 60, go to Z2, it is also at 60. Change that to 100, and find that Z1 is now 100. Am I missing a trick? Nothing in the book to suggest any other procedure.

Piotr Wozniacki March 26th, 2010 04:24 PM

You're right that both the menu and the manual are not very clear about this. But in reality, it's very simple:

- zebra 2 can only be set at 100%. It will show on areas above 100 IRE
- zebra 1 can be set to any value. If set to "Z1" %, it will show on areas with IRE value between Z1-10% and Z1+10%.

Serena Steuart March 26th, 2010 04:39 PM

Yes, that's the sort of thing I understood, except that you have the order inverted (Z2 is 100). However I can set both, but not to independent values.

Piotr Wozniacki March 27th, 2010 01:52 AM

You're right Serena - I confused the names; probably because I have Zebra 2 on most of the times (so it became "number one" to me :)). Have corrected my post accordingly.

Zebra 1 I only engage when filming people - otherwise, it just clutters the display.

But I still don't get what your problem is - other than from the looks of the menu, one can indeed think they both can be set to some (independent) values.

Serena Steuart March 27th, 2010 06:24 AM

Well, there isn't any point in having both zebras set to the same value, but I cannot set them otherwise. When I change one, the other changes itself to the same value. I cannot set them to different values. I'd be very happy to have zebra 2 at 100 and be able to manipulated Z1, but what ever I do to one happens to the other.

Piotr Wozniacki March 27th, 2010 06:36 AM

Serena,

In the Display menu, Zebra branch, I have two items:

Zebra (1,2, or BOTH)
Zebra1 level (selectable)

So frankly, I don't see how you can change the level of Zebra2 (it's 100 by design).

Or do you mean that where Z2 actually displays in the VF depends on your Zebra1 level setting? If so, this would evidently be some malfunctioning...

BTW, I'm still on 1.11.

Piotr Wozniacki March 27th, 2010 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serena Steuart (Post 1505936)
Obviously at some time I've adjusted Z2 to less than 100.

Serena, I re-read your OP, and the above statement caught my attention - just how did you manage to do that?

I bet what you indeed have done was adjust Z1 with Z2 not being displayed, and
then thought you were displaying the (adjusted) Z2 while in fact, it was Z1.

The two zebras differ considerably in the pattern they display - the stripes are at 90deg angle, and have different line "font".

Serena Steuart March 27th, 2010 06:32 PM

The patterns are indeed different and by setting "both" I see both. But both set to the same value (60, 100, 80, whatever I set). Or I can see Z1 or Z2 as I wish, but again I cannot set them individually to different values. I have no difficulty in changing Z2. This isn't much problem under most situations and I presume this has been the situation for some time without my being aware of it. Maybe I should return the camera to "default"

Roddy Jamieson March 28th, 2010 01:08 PM

The simplest way to check this is select 75% bars and select Both Z1 & Z2, then set Zebra level 1 to 70%. Now you will see both zebras No.2 on the white and No.1 on the yellow. Whilst there reduce Zebra level and Zebra 2 never moves but 1 will appear in the next colour down and so on. It just does not seem possible to adjust No.2

Serena Steuart March 28th, 2010 09:03 PM

Not possible to adjust Z2? Are you saying that its effective level doesn't change no matter how it is set? Or are you saying it cannot be adjusted? If the latter, then since I have no trouble adjusting the value in the menu, telling me I can't do what I can do is a bit odd, because I wouldn't have posted the question. However apparently the same "problem" is found in the EX1R, where both Zs change simultaneously but Z2 operationally remains at 100 no matter what value is shown in the menu. I'll check this for the EX1 when I get back to the camera.

Serena Steuart March 29th, 2010 12:08 AM

OK, the simple answer is that no matter what value is set in the menu for Z2, it is fixed at 100. So the value shown in the menu is that for Z1 only, even though that value is also given against Z2. So while it seems one is changing Z2, actually it is Z1 alone that is being adjusted. The menu should not show any value against Z2 other than 100, but it does. Thank you those who were trying to convey this. It was an EX1R user, disconcerted by the same issue, who provided the clear statement and now I've confirmed that the EX1 exhibits the same behaviour.

Piotr Wozniacki March 29th, 2010 01:48 AM

Serena,

Yes, this is what I was trying to convey.

The menu structure is not straightforward and may be confusing, but this is why I added to one of my posts that I'm on the 1.11 firmware - here, it's clearly Zebra1 only that can be assigned a level.

This might be displayed differently in EX1-R, or in another EX1 firmware.

Serena Steuart March 29th, 2010 02:12 AM

Thanks Piotr. My firmware is 1.20 and the EX1R shows the same misleading menu.

Roddy Jamieson March 29th, 2010 05:55 AM

Serena

I am working with the EX3 Firmware 1.10. I am saying it cannot be adjusted. Just the way Peter has stated. You would have good feature if you could adjust them separately. As prefer my No.2 zebra at 95%.

Good luck with your investigations.

Michael B. McGee March 29th, 2010 06:53 PM

I don't know if this is redundant, but on my EX1 v1.20 I have the option to view:
Zebra 1 or Zebra 2 or Both when Zebras are turned on. This is "Zebra Select" in the Zebra Menu. According to my camera I can only adjust Zebra 1 hence "Zebra1 Level" in the menu.