DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Rain covers for the PMW-350 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/475694-rain-covers-pmw-350-a.html)

Chris Loughlin March 27th, 2010 06:08 AM

Rain covers for the PMW-350

I've been putting off buying a rain cover for my 350K - but with summer coming I know I'm going to end up shooting outside in the rain one day soon. Looking on the websites of the usual suspects, I'm tempted by the Petrol PRC-25. But I once had a body cover for my old DSR-450 with a nylon spray cover attached in a pouch, so it was always on hand to deploy as the first spots of rain fell... If I could find one of those it might be a better bet.

I don't plan to be filming in any extreme Alister-Chapman-style tornados, but I need something for the occasional showery day.

Does anyone have any experience or wisdom to offer on this? Thanks.

Steve Phillipps March 27th, 2010 06:54 AM

Strangely enough the cover I've always liked is the one that used to come free with Digibetas and the like. It's the clear plastic one which goes on easily, is TOTALLY wateroproof unlike a lot of these proofed nylon things, and being see-through you can see all the controls all of the time - and it's resonably cheap too. http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/publi...ber=sony_lcr-1
Steve

Paul Cronin March 27th, 2010 07:59 AM

I purchased the Kata RC-1 for my PMW-350. Now that I sold the PMW-350 and have the PDW-F800 I will use the same Kata cover.

The cover works very well and gives full access to all controls and keeps the camera dry.

I have had a Kata rain cover for my EX1 for over two years and it has held up well and works great. Both are easy to roll up and put in your bag.

Steve's suggestion also looks very nice but i have not tried it.

Steve Phillipps March 27th, 2010 08:09 AM

I think it's a crime that they don't ship the cameras with these covers as they used to.
I've used some of the light covers, including the pull-out covers that are in pockets on Portabrace camera covers and they do eventually let rain in, it seems they are shower proof rather than waterproof, I'd never fully trust them now.
Steve

Paul Cronin March 27th, 2010 08:29 AM

Steve I love my Portabrace bags they are the best i have used, but I agree I can't use their covers they leak. The Kata does a great job and is a very good price.

Having a cover come with the camera would be nice.

Alister Chapman March 27th, 2010 10:32 AM

Kata RC-1 gets a vote from me too. It's not for day to day use, it's purely a rain cover, but it's really excellent. There is a semi-rigid tube that wraps around the lens hood and helps keep rain out of the lens. Very adjustable so will take a broad range of shoulder mount cameras with accessories etc. Also reasonably priced, picked mine up for 120 euro.

Olof Ekbergh March 27th, 2010 10:45 AM

I always liked the Portabrace covers, but now I find Kata is just as good.

I do a lot of shooting in Rain/Snow/Dust.

You may laugh, but my number one cover is always with me, a clear heavy duty garbage bag. I usually nhave 2 or 3 with me. They are light, totally water proof, customizable and cover the head (liquid as well as mine at times) as well. And the price can't be beat. 12 for $2.00

I keep them each runbag and in my pockets, they work great in conjunction with skins and polar packs.

Steve Phillipps March 27th, 2010 11:01 AM

I'm not laughing Olof, it's as good as anything and very packable.
Steve

Chris Loughlin March 27th, 2010 12:31 PM

Room for radio mic aerials?

Thanks for all those good suggestions - I'll add some bin liners to my bits bag now!

The Kata seems to be the popular choice - can anyone tell me if it has enough space for protruding radio mic aerials? I have the Sony plug-in receiver with two antennae sticking up just in front of the battery. Is there enough slack for them? Thanks.

Paul Cronin March 27th, 2010 12:42 PM

Loads of room Chris.

Chris Loughlin March 27th, 2010 01:14 PM

Done - thank you all. An absolute bargain price too from WTS at only £54 + VAT - beat that!

David Issko March 28th, 2010 03:11 PM

Preaching to the now converted Chris but I too have a Kata RC-1 rain cover.