DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Future EX1 firmware feature wish (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/475700-future-ex1-firmware-feature-wish.html)

Piotr Wozniacki March 27th, 2010 08:50 AM

Future EX1 firmware feature wish

Now that Sony has finally decided to let us upgrade the firmware, perhaps it's not inappropriate to try and compile a feature wish list again?

Here is mine:

I'm using the nanoFlash with my EX1, and of course had to turn any overlay display OFF in the SDI-out port. Using the nano' s HDMI-out, I'm monitoring with the excellent Marshall 70XP. When I need to check some data, I need of course to peek into the VF/LCD which might be inconvenient. I've been thinking: is it really necessary that all settings are shared between the SDI and Component outs? Why not give us the possibility to turn menus off in SDI, but leave them ON in Component? We could then hook my monitor to the nano via HDMI, and directly to the camera via Component - and just toggling between those 2 monitor inputs, have live preview of both what the nanoFlash is actually recording, AND of the EX1's current settings (aperture, the need for ND, the active PP, etc.).

I think this wouldn't be very difficult for Sony to include in the future firmware releases - assuming they are listening to us, let us all ask for it...Thanks!

Walter Brokx March 28th, 2010 09:49 AM

On top of my wishlist:
Combining cache recording with S&Q recording. (Not as a standard, but allowing to combine both options would make a great addition).

Steve Nelson March 28th, 2010 10:14 AM

That's an excellent suggestion Piotr. It's easy to imagine a situation where you're operating a crane or jib with the monitor on the weighted end where looking at the LCD on the camera isn't practical. Hopefully that wouldn't be too difficult for Sony to implement.

Paul Kellett March 28th, 2010 01:07 PM

Copy all.
Peaking whilst using expanded focus.

Paul.

Piotr Wozniacki March 28th, 2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kellett (Post 1506664)
Peaking whilst using expanded view.

While we are at it: peaking on external monitor!

My Marshall does have it's own peaking function, but it's just too sensitive and shows on all contrasty edges - not necessarily the sharp ones...

Paul Kellett March 29th, 2010 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki (Post 1506701)
While we are at it: peaking on external monitor!

Yes that too.

Paul.

Gints Klimanis March 29th, 2010 05:21 PM

Repositioning expanded focus area using the little EX1 joystick.

Also, I'd like to see the Expanded focus marked in some way. Often enough, I forget I'm recording in Expanded mode. I like that Sony allows this view mode during recording, though.

Although probably out of the reach of a minor firmware upgrade, it would be great to see the whole view of the scene in say, the upper eight of the screen layed over a zoomed view that fills the entire screen ala Picture-in-Picture.

Gints Klimanis March 29th, 2010 05:22 PM

I'd like to see a Return choice at both the start and end of menu item lists to speed returning to the previous menu layer.

Piotr Wozniacki March 29th, 2010 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gints Klimanis (Post 1507266)
I'd like to see a Return choice at both the start and end of menu item lists to speed returning to the previous menu layer.

Or better still, be able to scroll down from the last position of a given menu branch straight to its first uppermost position (which indeed should be Return). This way, it'd be easy to either go up one level, or scroll the same level again.

Jason Bodnar March 30th, 2010 01:19 PM

Make it so Overcranking can be assigned to one of the assignable buttons. It would not have a dedicated dial but would be a simple menu selection and assigmnet option for whichever resolution and frame rate you decide to assign. Should be very easy to implement and would save a ton of time for those of us that switch back and forth often. It would be very nice to pwr up at 1080p then with the press of one button be shooting 720 30p overcranked to 60. Also I second the ability to cache record, although if I can get my Nanoflash I won't have to worry about that one.

Clark Peters March 30th, 2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gints

Unless I am misunderstanding what you are asking for, the current firmware pretty much gives us that capability. By pushing the joystick to the left, you can jump backward at each menu layer.

Pete

Harro Skapinskas March 30th, 2010 04:23 PM

I would prefer an NTFS (with its advantages) rather than a FAT 32 format for the memory, or at least have the option to choose.

David C. Williams March 30th, 2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harro Skapinskas (Post 1507720)
I would prefer an NTFS (with its advantages) rather than a FAT 32 format for the memory, or at least have the option to choose.

That would make it incompatible with Macs, you could have permissions issues galore, extra overheads, extra cost for $ to MS. Fat is simple and sufficient.

Annen James March 30th, 2010 10:28 PM

All 3 white balances dialable to any selected temp

Gints Klimanis April 1st, 2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Peters (Post 1507706)
Unless I am misunderstanding what you are asking for, the current firmware pretty much gives us that capability. By pushing the joystick to the left, you can jump backward at each menu layer.
Pete

I have to adapt, then. I've been using that metal menu wheel the same way as on the Z1. Thanks for the tip.