DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Firmware update EX1 v 1.11 to v 1.20 on MacBook Pro with OSX 10.6.2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/475739-firmware-update-ex1-v-1-11-v-1-20-macbook-pro-osx-10-6-2-a.html)

Robbert-Jan van der Does March 28th, 2010 06:32 AM

Firmware update EX1 v 1.11 to v 1.20 on MacBook Pro with OSX 10.6.2

Hi,

For anyone interested I will give my firmware upgrade experiences here.

I have a MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo with SnowLeopard 10.6.2.
My EX1 had firmware version 1.11.

- I connected my camera to the DC power supply and I had a fully charged battery attached to the camera as well. I made sure that the camera was switched off and not yet conected to my Mac.

- I unzipped the VersionUp Tool for Mac, as explained in the Installation Instructions.

- I started the VersionUp.app by double-clicking it in the folder that was created by unzipping

- I agreed to the End User Agreement dialog in the VersionUp Tool

- I rotated the zoom grip of the EX1 completely clockwise (push the release button on the back of the zoom grip and turn)

- I removed the cover on the Service Mini-USB connector with a small Philips screwdriver.

- I connected the Service Mini-USB connector from the EX1 to my MacBook Pro with a Mini-USB to USB cable.

- I switched on my EX1 by sliding the power switch on the back of the EX1 to "Camera".

- At this moment I got somewhat confused, because my MackBook Pro showed me a dialog box asking me if I wanted to configure a network interface with the EX1. Also the LCD screen of the EX1 remained black (not even the normal EX1 splash screen). After a few seconds of staring to my MacBook Pro and wondering what to do, I saw that the VersionUp Tool advanced a few steps and was waiting for me to start the upgrade. I then decided to cancel the OSX Network Configuration Dialog and let the VersionUp Tool continue its process.

- So I clicked the OK button to start the upgrade.

- The bottom progress indicator in the VersionUp Tool went up steadily and reached the 100 %

- The VersionUp Tool asked me to switch off the EX1 wait for 10 seconds and switch back on again, so I did (I waited just a few seconds longer to be on the safe side). I did not disconnect the DC power supply, nor did I remove the battery. Just the power switch.

- After I switched on again, the OSX network dialog reappeared. I also cancelled this dialog.

- In the VersionUp Tool the top progress bar jumped to 50%, the bottom progress bar restarted at 0%

- If I remember well the OSX Network Dialog reappeared once more at this point. I cancelled out again.

- While the top progress bar in the VersionUp Tool stayed at 50%, the bottom progress bar went steadily up again until it reached 99.9%. There it stayed for about 2 to 3 minutes.

- When it reached 100% the VersionUp Tool said the upgrade was done. It asked me to switch off the camera and to disconnect it from the computer.

- After switching off and disconnecting the EX1 I switched the EX1 on to see if it all had turned out OK......

- The camera did not respond. Black screen on the LCD. Even after repeatedly switching on and off

- After a few seconds of taking the blow I decided to switch the camera off and I REMOVED the battery and I UNPLUGGED the power supply.

- I waited 10 seconds and reattached the battery. I switched the EX1 on and PRESTO!

- EX1 FIRMWARE SUCCESSFULLY UPGRADED TO V1.20

I hope this can be of any help.

Regards,
Robbert-Jan

Tom Roper March 28th, 2010 08:52 AM

This roughly mirrors my experience on the PC, except without the network dialog, and also without the difficulty getting the EX1 to boot after the upgrade. When versionup was finished, I unplugged the external power supply and the USB, but did not remove the battery. The EX1 booted successfully on the first try.

Brandon Potthoff August 25th, 2010 11:11 AM

Doesn't seem to be downloAding anything

This is great post. Iwas hoping that maybe you could help me out when I try and download it doesn't seem to do anything on my Mac. And I don't see directions anywhere. Any helpmwould be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Robbert-Jan van der Does August 25th, 2010 01:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Brendan,

what do you mean by 'not downloading anything' ?
Can't you download the software from the SONY US site?
Anyway, here is the direct link to the software on the european site:
http://support.pro.sony.eu//software...&model=PMW-EX1
If you haven't done so before, you have to login or register before you can download. I don't know if you can use a login that you use for the US site.
After unzipping the appropriate files you wil get something like in the attached screenprint.
Then I'd suggest you read the Installation Instructions, the release notes, the readme file and the VerUpTool pdf.
Then, if you follow the additional description I wrote earlier, I think you will be able to get the firmware updated.

Good luck,
Robbert-Jan