DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Service Menu access for EX1R (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/475843-service-menu-access-ex1r.html)

George Strother March 29th, 2010 06:34 PM

Here is the Service Menu access sequence for EX1R

I was given the method to access the EX1R Service Menus, and permission to share it, on the phone with Sony Support today.

Phone contact to request the sequence directly from Sony -
(800) 883-6817 /Opt 2/ Opt 5/ Opt 2

Here is the part that differs from the EX1-

LCD must be in the closed position
LCD B. Light switch (under top handle) must be in the OFF position
Gain must be set to H

Then the same as EX1-

Press and hold Cancel + Jog Wheel, then + Menu
Maintenance, RPN and Information Menu items will be added to bottom of Menu below Others
Flangeback auto adjustment (also called back focus) is under Maintenance, shown as Auto FB Adjust

Procedure is the same as the EX1-

An 8" or larger Seimens star chart is ideal. Siemens star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It should be mounted on a plain wall, wide enough to cover most of the frame at Z0, widest angle
Other high contrast objects within this field of view may effect the calibration
Mount the camera on a tripod, about 10' away from the high contrast back focus target
Zoom all the way in to the target and center it in the viewfinder
Set lens to Auto Focus, Focus Ring pushed forward, Auto Iris, Macro Off
Select Auto FB Adjust in the Maintenance menu
Select Execute

George
Light Images

Marty Welk March 30th, 2010 11:49 AM

thanks, was hoping someone would eventually post this.
(now i can totally screw up my Backfocus :-)

George Strother March 30th, 2010 12:06 PM

Marty

Apply careful attention to this part -

An 8" or larger Seimens star chart is ideal. Siemens star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It should be mounted on a plain wall, wide enough to cover most of the frame at Z0, widest angle
Other high contrast objects within this field of view may effect the calibration

I use a canvas painter's tarp (a clean one also used occasionally as a backdrop) clipped to the inside of my 2 car garage door, with the Seimens chart taped to it. Works first time, every time.

Any high contrast object that can confuse the auto focus, will confuse the auto focus. It's a Murphy thing.

Oh, and - If your back focus ain't broke, don't fix it. Mine was broke. Fixed now.

Kent Beeson July 28th, 2010 04:49 PM

I've done all this, it works, now how do I get menu back to normal, hiding the Maintenance and other 2 menus as original?

K

Andy Shipsides July 28th, 2010 07:37 PM

I posted a video showing how to backfocus the EX1R here - Adjusting Back Focus On An XDCAM EX Camera | CineTechnica

Kent Beeson July 28th, 2010 11:26 PM

Very nice, but did I miss how to re-hide that maintenance menu when you're done with it...I don't want it accessible all the time, only when it's a must...so how does one hide it again?

Olof Ekbergh July 29th, 2010 09:55 AM

Kent,

If you return to normal settings: light on etc.
Quit out of Menu.
Shut down EX1R.
When you return to Menu it will be normal again (no service menus).

I just tried it on mine and it works fine.

Kent Beeson July 29th, 2010 08:50 PM

Thanks very much, I just didn't want that thing on all the time - too much at stake to leave it on I think.

George Strother July 30th, 2010 09:47 AM

Kent

Olof's reply is correct, as his posts usually are.

Sorry I didn't put that in my instructions. Guess I thought everyone would quit Menu and return to shooting mode or power off after setting back-focus. That can happen when you write instructions.

Simply powering off the camera takes the EX1 or EX1R out of service menu mode. To bring back the service menu requires pressing Cancel, Jog Wheel and Menu at the same time.
Only on the EX1R, the LCD position, LCD B. Light switch and Gain must also be in the correct positions to bring back the Service Menu with Cancel, Jog Wheel and Menu.

George