Are 3rd party base plates worthwhile? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:18 PM   #16
Trustee

I take Piotr at his word that somewhere within that massive kit, an EX1 lurks.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:56 PM   #17
Trustee

I think that we need to start testing Piotr's rig for band substances. I'm sure that thing has been on the juice. It's more pumped up than Arnold was in his hay days.

:)

Garrett
Garrett Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Guys,

I use that little kit as a rehab device to exercise my neck, arms and legs, weakened after spine surgeries. Its main advantage over the other gym machinery is the adrenaline surge it releases...

:)
Old April 4th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I have to move my EX1 from tripod, to shoulder brace, to jib boom...sometimes within minutes. What's worked for me has been the $50 Manfrotto 394 Low Profile Quick Release Adapter with 410PL Plate. I have one baseplate on each support unit, and with a flip of a lever, I can move my camera from device to device. Seems to lock in rather securely and have never (yet) had a failure.
Frank Casanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I think Sony did not provide enough mounting points on the bottom of the camera. For a camera of that size and weight, two mounting points are needed especially if your tripod plate is not very wide.

I have Olof's (West Side AV) plate and can assure you that it provides more stability at the expense of a small amount of added weight. This is important because more work is needed to remove Olof's plate. He takes advantage of some very small Sony mounting points, and such tiny screws are subject to stripping. You need an Phillips-head screw driver with just the right small blades, but Olof supplies one. I have his latest plate and appreciate his addition of several more 1/4" mount points on the bottom of the plate. Once you mount his plate, you don't take it off. I think it's an excellent purchase and only wish it were available two years ago. It should have some resale value as well if you are concerned with purchasing a plate that is specific to a camera.

Last edited by Gints Klimanis; April 5th, 2010 at 04:03 PM.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #21
Major Player

Juiced Designs gets big THUMBS UP!

I just received Juiced Designs Baseplate for the EX1R and it is terrific. It's strong enough that I trust my EX1R defying gravitly at the end of a jib on the remote camera head, and it's also pretty - anodized black and it form fits the bottom so it looks like part of the camera! A small price to pay for security with professional looks!!

Superbly constructed, along with first rate customer service and response times to inquiries - Curtis gets a big thumbs up on his baseplate!!!

Lonnie
Lonnie Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 02:46 PM   #22
Major Player

A vote here for the Juiced plate. It came with the new side wing and a great cold shoe, it's a handsome bit of kit for sure.
Old August 14th, 2010, 04:41 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Thanks to everyone that likes my Juice Designs base plates. (Not Juiced). I first started making them for the Panasonic HVX200 because that is the camera I use and a friend broke his base which cost about $1000 for Panasonic to fix. I later decided to make them for the HPX170 & HMC150 and then the EX1 and EX1R. I take pride into making the best possible looking base plate, not only function, which I have found allot of people appreciate.
Once the admins here get back to me on ad rates I can post more about new products in the works and links.

thanks everyone,

Curtis Guise
Old November 14th, 2010, 04:56 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
Here is some shameless promotion.

I started making these because I use the EXcams myself and I was appalled at the poor camera bases. I have repaired a few of them for unfortunate users and I find there is areal need for this solution. I keep the price as reasonable as I can. These are made here in NH in a small CNC shop.

My system can be ordered here:
Westside A V Studios WEB Store

You can also contact me with any questions or special requests.
olof@westsideav.com
Has westsideavstore gone? I tried all the links - even going direct and can't get to the store - want to look at buying one of these plates...
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 05:05 AM   #25
Major Player

Don't know what's up with the store, but the main site is still up Westside A V Home Page, or:

Westside A V Studios
Tel. 603.383.9283
info@WestsideAV.com

Shoot them an email. Maybe some snafu with the store site.

George/
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2010, 05:17 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Guise View Post
Thanks to everyone that likes my Juice Designs base plates. (Not Juiced). I first started making them for the Panasonic HVX200 because that is the camera I use and a friend broke his base which cost about $1000 for Panasonic to fix. I later decided to make them for the HPX170 & HMC150 and then the EX1 and EX1R. I take pride into making the best possible looking base plate, not only function, which I have found allot of people appreciate.
Once the admins here get back to me on ad rates I can post more about new products in the works and links.

thanks everyone,

Curtis Guise
What are the chances you might do an ex3 plate? Eveen if you won't - my "chip in" for what it's worth... The EX1 plate you have put together - especially with the new wing option looks to be exceptionally well made and the best surprise it looks very sensibly priced. Just wish you did an ex3 version!!
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds