Can't see my converted .mov's on another computer with FCP? Help please. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 29th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can't see my converted .mov's on another computer with FCP? Help please.

I converted my bpav's (yes SxS cards to computer with ClipBrowser) - then to .mov's with XDCam Transfer, and have been editing them on my MacPro in FCP.

I send a hard drive with the .mov's to another editor, who is also using FCP. He says he can only hear audio, no picture?? Is he missing a codec or what's the deal? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Annen James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annen James View Post
Is he missing a codec or what's the deal?
Yes, he's missing something. It's probably the XDCAM EX codecs. But that's not all. Below are the minimum requirements for viewing EX files with FCP:

Final Cut Pro v.6.0.2
Quicktime v.7.3.1
OS Tiger v.10.4.11

Remember that the EX codecs reside within FCP and not the OS and not with Quicktime.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

He has all those version, and higher, but still only gets audio! any other suggestions? Does he need XDCAM Transfer?
Annen James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annen James View Post
Does he need XDCAM Transfer?
No, not if you've already imported and converted the clips to MOV format with your own XDCAM Transfer. These converted files are the ones you should be sending your editor. Ask him to check his version of FCP and make sure the EX codecs are indeed there. Tell him to go to the Final Cut Pro Menu<Audio/Video Settings<Sequence Preset. In the drop down menu all the codecs available will be there, including the EX Codecs.

- Don
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Regular Crew

So the work around is downloading Calibrated Q, either the free version which puts grey bars across some of the picture, or the full version ($79). It works by providing a Codec(or magic potion) so you can just watch the clips with Quick Time. Cheaper for me than reexporting everything, buying another HD and FedEx-ing it to the client.

**Side note, this is for someone with a PC or Mac that DOES NOT have FCP installed.

Calibrated{Q} XD Decode
Annen James is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds