DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1R firmware upgrade from 1.0 to 1.10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/476030-ex1r-firmware-upgrade-1-0-1-10-a.html)

Jeff Wallace April 1st, 2010 02:13 PM

EX1R firmware upgrade from 1.0 to 1.10

I just received a new Ex1R yesterday and it shipped with firmware 1.0. So after some research I decided to upgrade to ver. 1.10

The upgrade went fine... I downloaded the file, copied it to an SXS card and performed the upgrade in-camera.

However, I just noticed a disclaimer by Sony saying users should not upgrade to 1.10 unless they have 1.04 or later!! I wish I had seen this before the upgrade.

Am I screwed now? So far the camera seems to be operating just fine. Should I contact a Sony service center?

George Strother April 1st, 2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Wallace (Post 1508611)
I just noticed a disclaimer by Sony saying users should not upgrade to 1.10 unless they have 1.04 or later!! I wish I had seen this before the upgrade.

Am I screwed now? So far the camera seems to be operating just fine. Should I contact a Sony service center?

You are fine. The disclaimer refers to the EX1. There is only ver. 1.0 and 1.10 for the EX1R.

Jeff Wallace April 1st, 2010 09:00 PM

Thanks George... I must have mis-read the disclaimer. Now excuse me while I let out an enormous WHEW!

Michael Maier April 2nd, 2010 04:37 AM

So the EX1R has it's own firmware? I only ask since you said yours shipped with V1.0 and the EX1 is already at V1.20. I thought it would be just the same firmware as the EX1 since they are basically the same camera.
Didn't know it had it's own firmware.

Docea Marius April 2nd, 2010 10:40 AM

is complicated to install new software to EX1R? Now I bought myself and want to install it EX1R oftul 1.10
Have you seen an improvement over the old version?
Thanks

Jeff Wallace April 2nd, 2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Maier (Post 1508838)
So the EX1R has it's own firmware? I only ask since you said yours shipped with V1.0 and the EX1 is already at V1.20. I thought it would be just the same firmware as the EX1 since they are basically the same camera.

Yes apparently it does., which makes things very confusing. I was really surprised to see the Ex1R ship with version 1.0. The most currently version is 1.10

Jeff Wallace April 2nd, 2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Docea Marius (Post 1508958)
is complicated to install new software to EX1R? Now I bought myself and want to install it EX1R oftul 1.10
Have you seen an improvement over the old version?
Thanks

The easiest way to do it, is download the firmware update from Sony's site, copy it to an SXS card, and run the update in-camera as opposed to hooking up the camera to a computer.

It worked flawlessly for me.

The major improvement in version 1.10 is that SDHC card adapters are supposed to be more reliable.

George Strother April 2nd, 2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Maier (Post 1508838)

The cameras are less the same than you would imagine. Just the physical differences in the cameras would require different firmware. The menus are not identical and the EX1R has some buttons that are different.

EX1 PP .suf files won't load on an EX1R.

Many of the EX1R default settings are quite a bit different from the default on the EX1, even though they show the same number (usually 0) in the numeric reading in menus.

An example - my Real Color PP matrix setting for the EX1R doesn't share any numbers with my Real Color setting for the EX1, though both cameras have a default setting of 0 for all matrix numbers. The setup process used the same chart, lighting and scopes.

Another example - I used about -30 detail on the EX1 to reduce the enhancement outlines to my taste. On the EX1R, -5 has about the same effect.

Sony engineers tweaked more than they told us about in the EX1R press releases, mostly in good ways.